Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ratatouille Rocks!

This recipe link was sent from a friend and I thought it was a great way to use the last of the summer produce. A colorful way to display eggplant, red peppers, zuchinni and summer squash. This was a nice twist on the standard soup or veggie stew that ratatouille usually is.

Easy to make, too! Just grab a mandolin for quick and consistently thin slices. Slice up those beautiful veggies... then put a cup or two of tomato sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. I was able to use some simple sauce we canned earlier this year. The recipe called for a round baking dish, and I have to admit that the presentation was gorgeous. But, I had round or rectangular, so that is what I went with. Go for what you have available.

Chop up a yellow onion finely, and then slice a few cloves of garlic real thin. ...in my house a few is 4 or 5! Don't worry, the garlic will cook up nicely and you won't get any shocking bites of garlic.

Salt and Pepper it up and then put 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in the sauce. Give it a good mix! Now the fun part. Layer the veggies in a pretty pattern of green, yellow, red and purple. Just be sure to do justice to the lovely veg.
Generously drizzle the top with olive oil, salt, pepper and some fresh thyme if you have it. I forgot, and my DH said he didn't mind too much. It was good, but I am sure the thyme would have made it even better.

Then cut a peice of parchment to lay right on top of the baking dish.

In a 375 oven bake for 40-50 minutes. It should be bubbly, but the veggies shouldn't be mushy.

I served it over couscous, but any grain would do. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!