Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Top 10 ways to get fit after the holidays


EA and TwitterMoms have a contest going and asked bloggers to share our top ten tips for getting fit after the holidays. I know, with all the hustle and bustle to get the last minute gifts, food all prepared and the family ready for the big day, the last things we think about is our health. I love this time of year! Mashed potatoes, pecan pie and even candy canes make it difficult to stick with even the best fitness routine. So, lets look forward and get back on track


1. Just get everyone moving! I have little ones, so the simple things can be incorporated to get me moving. Kids need fresh air, shoot! I need it too. I will be putting both kids in the double stroller and heading outside. We may have to bundle up, but it will be good for all of us. We will also spend some time playing with the kids which is bound to burn off some calories! Kids love tag and hide and seek.

2. Change your bad eating habbits. Enjoy the last of the food on Christmas! Now, I will be using the turkey or ham bones to make soup, ...nice soup with whole grains or legumes... but the other fattening fare will go away after the holidays. After 2 days of eating turkey and the trimmings it is nice to change the menu... and healthier. I won't throw out those cookies or cake, but stash it in the freezer for later. A girl does need a treat every once in a while!

3. Get rid of temptations and start with a new slate. As preparation for the new year, I plan on cleaning out my fridge and pantry after the holiday. Why not start fresh? Then fill the empty spaces with healthier choices. Throw out the creamy salad dressing that was put in the fridge who knows when! ...and then pick out a nice vinaigrette that appeals to you. The little things add up.

4. Start those resolutions early, but keep them simple. I will start walking once a day. I did before my daughter was born this year and I am finally ready to start leaving the house and exercising again. I have other things to try also, but will start with just one very doable item to begin with.

5. Hold yourself accountable. Whether you need to write it down in a journal or go online and crunch the calorie numbers, just putting it down will help to make it real. I often loose track of what I eat during the day, but seeing it down on paper reminds me when it is getting out of control.

6. Get enough rest. It is much easier to stick with something if you are well rested and feeling good. The better I feel, the more I want to work out. The best "vicious" cycle ever!

7. Take time to reward yourself. Even if this just means a few minutes to read in the morning, or that evening jog. Be good to yourself. Again, if you feel good, you are more likely to take care of yourself.

8. Get support. Exercise is so much more enjoyable when you are comfortable. Find the right sports bra and supportive wear. I just had a baby, so I need all the help I can get! Defying gravity will help me to run farther and jump higher.

9. Get support. No, not another bra tip... find supportive people to help you. My son helps me by dancing with me in the living room, my DH goes on walks in the evening with me and helps to push a stroller. Get healthy recipe ideas from friends or family. There is support out there, you might just need to look for it.

10. Give yourself a break! It doesn't have to happen overnight. This is a life investment in yourself. Just keep moving and having fun. Your health will follow.

These are my little ideas. I always get in the swing of things after the holidays and look forward to spring and getting out more. But, what do you do to get fit after the holidays? Feel free to comment here and share your ideas or go over and share your tips atTwitterMoms. You will be entered to win a EA SPORTS Active™ Personal Trainer – the highest rated Wii™ fitness product to date for use on the Nintendo Wii system!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!