Friday, April 30, 2010

Aloha Friday - #12




Aloha Everyone! In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that they take it easy and look forward to the weekend. Can you believe we made it to Friday? We survived the week, so to celebrate let's sit back and relax. No heavy mental lifting today... just one simple little question...

Do you look to books on parenting? Or for activities to do with your kids? (want to share a title or tip?)

Okay, so a little later posting this than usual. This was prompted by an email from a friend who is home with her child for the summer and wanted ideas for what to do. I was a little surprised. My kids are a part of my day.

My day includes chores around the house, caring for the chickens, gardening and cooking/baking. I think those are all great life skills for my kids to learn. They also have time to play, but for most of the day my toddler loves to help me. It hadn't even occured to me to look for suggestions in a book... or that I needed to come up with activities for them.

So, I am now curious if I have been missing the "parental boat" here. Do you get your ideas from a book? Okay, if you want more Aloha Friday fun, go to An Island Life and check out the other posts on the Linky. Have a great weekend!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I don't have kid's yet so I'm not sure! That is an interesting question to see what others have to say! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have consulted books on parenting and activities for my daughter. I haven't used them to tell me what to do so much as to tell me if I'm doing the "right" thing. My 2 most recent questions were about communication and fever. I found it natural that when my daughter asked me a question (questioning tone is probably more appropriate since my daughter is very young) to repeat the information back as a statement with some kind of description. I wondered if that was overwhelming her brain. Turns out, I should be doing that to help her understand language and to form communication skills. She's also having an issue with teething and running a fever, so I found myself reaching for the book to double check the limits before calling the doctor, as well as looking up ways to reduce her temp other than Tylenol. For the most part, these books collect dust on my shelves, but every now and then they have come in very handy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm with you... i don't consult books on how to parent either! Sure they can help when there's a particular issue or problem... but they can also make you unintentionally switch around your priorites (focus on appearance [kids that "behave"] is a classic example).

    I won't mind consulting books for ideas on activities, though. that just helps jumpstart my creativity.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!