Monday, May 31, 2010

Wishing Everyone...

A Great Memorial Day!

Whether you celebrate with a local parade, a BBQ or with a family get-together, I hope you take a moment to think about the men and women who made the freedom and choices we have possible.

Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day as grave sites were decorated for those who had died in service to our nation during the Civil War. It was then officially proclaimed on May 5, 1858... though the tradition had been going strong in several cities before that time. After WWI it broadened to honor all of our fallen for any war or conflict.

Our family does not have any graves to decorate, but when my children are older I hope to take them to see the true meaning of the day. I really enjoy seeing our local Veteran's Cemetery decorated with flowers and rows of flags. though we may celebrate with a BBQ or go camping, the day is a in honor of others who sacrificed for us.

To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps."

I would love to hear how your family celebrates. I always enjoy reading your comments.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Wow I never knew about the 3PM time before. In fact I found your post very informative as I never knew that about Memorial Day before. Our town has a parade and then a Memorial Service. We go every year except we didn't make it this year. I hope you enjoy your BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I learned a lot looking into the day for this post. That is what I love about blogging!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!