Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Can you Help Those With PKU?

I really appreciate my readers. Just today I received a message from a reader because she has a friend with PKU (Phenylketonuria)... if you read my blog you might remember that both of my kiddos have this rare metabolic condition.

Well, I was directed to another blog talking about the legislation they are trying to pass to require insurance companies to cover medical foods. This really means the world to those of us in the PKU community. Most of us have been jerked around by one insurance company after another. My family has been lucky, but every so often we have to battle denied claims. Sometimes for no reason. You see, Oregon requires medical foods to be covered. Why? Because those with PKU can be contributing members of society (i.e. pay taxes, work, etc.) if they get their formula & foods. If not, well... people used to be institutionalized for life.

Sadly, not every state covers medical foods. And we are hoping to change that. If you want to read more about the good fight, head over to PinkaDots blog. Learn more about the condition and what is going on in Washington.

Thanks to all my readers. I do love your comments!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. WOW hi! It's a small world! :) It's nice to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you! I love meeting PKU role models for my kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!