Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Review - Soda Stream Bring on the Bubbly!

What do you reach for when you're thirsty? Well, we are a water first kinda family, but we love a good soda treat from time to time. Not every meal, but a little added caffeine kick in the evening can be a fun change of pace. My DH is a big cola fan while I lean more to the fruity side with the Orange Mango being hands down my favorite.

I was very excited when SodaStream USA agreed to let me do a review here at Adventures in All Things Food for their Fountain Jet and various flavors. I started out thinking of the machine as a soda maker... and have come to think of it as a way to take beverages to the next step. How? Well, not only can you make the classic sodas we enjoy, but also we can use it for flavored water as well as for our adult beverages. Yum.


So, how does it work? Well, the Fountain Jet is of a super simple design. You have the CO2 canister, the machine and a reusable bottle. The canister is good for 60 or 110 liters, equivalent to 170 or 310 aluminum cans! The machine is cordless and doesn't need an external power source (bonus!) The pressure from the canister is enough. And last, the reusable bottle is a green alternative to throwing away or even recycling bottles or cans.

Just fill the bottle with cold tap water and then give it three short pushes to carbonate it. You can carbonate it less or more as you like. I love the freedom! Another bonus is since you are only carbonating the water, if you don't screw on the bottle properly (as I goofed on the first time using it!) you only spray water. So much better than a mess of sticky soda. Don't worry, it was a stupid mistake that I have not repeated.


Then add your flavoring! There is such a large selection available from SodaStream you are bound to find a favorite or two. Our favorites are definitely the cola, rootbeer, mango orange and lemonade. I thought the MyWater flavors were okay and opted instead to use my own splash of fruit juice or lemon to flavor my seltzer water.

Easy right? I have been so excited because we have found all sorts of yummy treats to make with our SodaStream. We have used it with my home made lemonade syrup and I hope to use it to make some cocktails for a special occasion. Just check out these 3 ideas I found:

Fruit Cooler (Non-Alcoholic)
Apple Juice, Lemon Juice, Seltzer Water, Strawberries, Sugar
Egg Cream (Non-Alcoholic)
Chocolate Syrup, Seltzer Water, Whole Milk

Limeade (Non-Alcoholic)
Lime, Seltzer Water, Sugar

I love the idea of not having to run out to find seltzer water. That is one ingredient I never keep on hand. So, what would you do with a SodaStream?

You can order your own SodaStream Fountain Jet & Flavorings at Sodastream.com . Also connect with them on Facebook
...and if you check out their new blog... be sure to enter their current giveaway! http://msfizz.sodastreamusa.com . This is a great place to find recipes and information on new products, etc.

Do I recommend it? Absolutely. We don't drink tons of soda, but I am sure it will still save us money and time. It will also be a lot of fun at parties, allowing people to choose their own drinks, but not leaving me with a pile of extra soda afterward. I am impressed with the low prices and can't wait to try all their different flavors. My DH was impressed with the ease of use and taste. We are looking forward to having more adventures with this product in the future.

*Disclaimer - I received a Fountain Jet & several syrups to facilitate my review. No monetary compensation took place. This did not influence my opinion and this review is fair and honest.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Jealous!!!! I've been trying to get my hands on one of these for MONTHS!!! Waaahhhhh! :-P

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!