Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mamavation Monday - Step by Step

"Step by step
Ooh baby, you're always on my mind"

As I contemplated this week's post title for some reason I had New Kids on the Block on the brain. Does that date me?  I know. Where did that come from? Despite having an embarrassingly massive crush on Jordan as a 5th grader, even with their recent come back, I haven't given them much thought. But, after I took a moment to relive the nostalgia, I thought, "Eureka!" that is this week's motto.

I was pretty disappointed about not being named a Mamavation Mom. To be honest, I was crushed. I have lost weight before, but was praying for the tools and knowledge not to end up back here... over 200 lbs, unhealthy and unhappy with it. But it was not to be. I received a few DMs that night telling me to move on. I am, but with new inspiration in mind. I am going to remember to "always (be) on my mind". With each step and each mouth full I need to think about myself. Call it mindful eating, or living with purpose, but I need to make myself a priority. Without that I don't think this weight loss journey will ever be successful.

I did treat myself to a new Wii game. I have fallen completely in love with the Just Dance Kids game. I went ahead and got the game for my son and purchased the Just Dance 2 for myself. I haven't even opened my version because I am having a blast dancing with my him! Oh, yeah... from Jungle Boogie & Kung Fu Fighting to a few Wiggles and Yo Gaba Gaba classics, we have been breaking out into a sweat together. I even got my DH dancing along last night. I love that the songs are fun and the moves are simple. Just for putting a controller on her head and turning in circles, my 1 year old received points from the game. The bottom line is we are all up and moving together. I think it was my favorite activity this week. If you have tried it, I would love to hear your thoughts.

...and now for the moment of truth this week,


-1.2 lbs! Woo-hoo!

Maybe not ground breaking, but I will take the loss. As it stands I need to really crack down on my eating, but more on that later.

This week's Recipe Share is:


This was super simple to make and tasted so yummy! I will be making this again.

Tofu Saag over Brown Rice
you will need: 

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 diced onions (I like yellow for this)
1 pkg frozen spinach (thawed) or 1 lb of fresh
1/2 c. light coconut milk
2 tsp. cumin
1tsp cinnamon
1 package x-firm tofu
2 cups cooked brown rice

Saute onion in the olive oil till translucent. Then add in the broth and spinach. If the spinach is fresh, wilt it, otherwise warm it up. Add the coconut milk, cumin and cinnamon and simmer for 7 minutes. Blend up the mixture until smooth. Either use a blender or immersion blender. Transfer the mixture back into a saucepan over medium heat. Add in cubed tofu and let it simmer for 8 minutes. Stir gently so the tofu doesn't break. Season to taste. Serve it over brown rice and enjoy!


Last Week's Goals

  • Complete the Yoplait Tune Up
  • Continue the EA Sports Active workouts for the week (4 total)
  • Meal Plan and log my food intake for the week
  • Get 1 hour of walking, jogging or running a day
  • Increase my water consumption and continue with the no soda, no alcohol rule.
Last week was up and down. I had a few good days and logged over 10 miles, and then hit two busy days that derailed my week. I need to make a standing appointment to walk with my kids. Eating was okay, I did go out to eat twice and had a garden burger with steamed broccoli when we went out to Red Robin, the awards dinner was harder to navigate. I think I can still do better and didn't write everything down as I should. I hope this next week being more accountable for my eating will help.

This Week's Goals
  • Meal plan & stick with it. I have a few new recipes to try out.
  • Continue the EA Sports Active workouts for the week (4 total)
  • Log all of my food and water intake
  • Get 1 hour of walking, jogging or running a day
  • Get at least 2 strength or ab DVD workouts in this week
I feel like tightening things up. I am going grocery shopping for the week Monday night and will be cutting up and prepping as much as I can ahead of time. This week we will not be eating out and that should make things easier. I will link my week meal plan shortly. I know I feel better when I move more, I just need to keep myself from sitting down for long periods of time.

Sista of the Week : a big kudos to Lena! She is a hard working sista who is always asking what we had for breakfast with #breakfast club. Made her way through Shred and is always around to help motivate. Congrats girl!

MAMAVATION TV: Join us Monday night at 7pm PST/10pm EST on Mingle Media TV

BLOGGING CARNIVAL: This week’s blogging carnival is sponsored by Fiber Plus.   They are giving away a box of their product to everyone who enters their information in the form below, answers the following question in their blog post and links it back to their Fiber Plus site.  Two blogging carnival participants will also receive one $50 American Express Gift Card each. Link up your post here to share with others.

Question: How are you getting more fiber in your diet this New Year?

Fiber has been on my mind since the new campaign started. I am flirting with more vegetarian and vegan options for their higher fiber content. Beans are my absolute favorite fiber packed little friends. This week I am planning on having steel cut oats for one of my daily morning mini meals, and chickpea cakes are on the menu. I want to utilize the remaining carrots we have to keep cut carrot sticks handy for snacking. A little bit of crunch on hand goes a long way to keep me feeling full.  Fiber is a conscious effort I make each week.

*Disclaimer - I’m writing this post as an entry to a blogging carnival sponsored by Fiber Plus. I will be receiving free product in return.
Pin It