Sunday, February 13, 2011

Count Down to Valentine's - Cookies!

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Are you ready? Our home is still a mess with clouds of flour, chocolate smudges and sticky finger marks on EVERYTHING! But, we are almost ready.

To help put my toddler in the mood for Valentine's Day we set out to make the best sugar cookies ever. And you know, I think we managed it. We used Paula Deen's fabulous sugar cookie recipe, since the queen of butter knows her cookies.

Yes, it does call for just a TAD bit butter.

Paula Deen's Sugar Cookies
you will need:
1 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar (sifted)
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 c. AP flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tatar

In a bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Then mix in the egg, vanilla and almond extracts. In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, soda, cream of tatar). Add the dry mix to the wet until completely mixed. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time to 1/4" thickness. Cut out your shapes and bake for 9 - 10 minutes. Let them cool completely before decorating.





I used a combination of homemade royal icing, Wilton's Cookie Icing, and Betty Crocker's ready made frosting and Wilton's edible decorating markers for our cookies.



Little Man was all about the blue royal icing.


And I went for a little more traditional. We had a blast making and then passing our cookies out to friends and family.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Your cookies look fantastic and I bet they taste great! I can smell them right now... If I hadn't recently been diagnosed with several food allergies - including wheat - and a sugar sensitivity for good measure, I'd make some right now. Looks like a great project for my nephew for next year, though. He's all about red. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!