Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Did Someone Say Meatballs? - Recipe

Mmmm... there is nothing like a meatball to top off a plate of spaghetti. Did you sing the meatball song as a child?

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

I can tell you that these little beauties are nothing to sneeze at...

Okay, you could buy frozen meatballs... but really, making your own is not only easy but much tastier! So, shall we get started?

You will need:  
2/3 c milk
1 large egg
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. panko or torn bread
3/4 lb ground beef
3/4 lb ground pork
1 medium onion, grated
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley
fresh cracked pepper (optional)


First combine the milk, egg, salt and bread crumbs. Let this sit for 10 minutes to soak in. Then add the remaining ingredients. I use a small cookie ball scoop to form uniform meatballs. See them sitting all nice and pretty on my baking tray? Line your baking tray with wax paper for quick and easy clean up.


See how easy that was? Mmmm... if you are wondering about the cheese, it adds a nice flavor without overtly screaming "cheese in the meatball".  Now take a nonstick skillet with a touch of oil, and brown them up.



When they are all browned I  throw some to simmer in my spaghetti sauce, and also leave some on the baking tray to freeze for future meals. If you want to eat them alone, pop them in the oven for a few minutes to ensure they are cooked through.

For freezing, put the entire tray in your freezer and once they are frozen, then separate them into freezer bags. This allows me to separate out several meals worth and grabbing a bag to simmer with my sauce is easy as pie! Enjoy!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!