Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Go Ahead! Share some Happiness...

Valentine's Day has come and gone, but that doesn't mean that "love" is done for the year. Wouldn't it be nice if everyday was Valentine's Day? Okay, maybe not for the calories I consumed with my sweetie that night, but for all the little things I did with my kids to share a bit of happiness with those around us!

This year my oldest is 3 years old and really starting to understand what it means to do things for others. He helped me create sugar cookies with love and cupcakes with a smile to pass out to our friends and family. IT didn't cost a lot of money, but our time and care showed them that we were thinking of them.

This was even more poignant because he couldn't eat any of the treats himself. He has a rare metabolic disorder called PKU, and can't eat regular flour, eggs or chocolate. Honestly, I think he was more excited about giving the treats away than the idea of eating them anyway. On delivery day he asked all morning, "Is it time to go now?"

And what about after the holiday? Well, being a Mom of two I hope my own actions can teach my children how to "pay it forward" with happiness. Everyday gives us new chances to do kind things for others around us.

On our weekly shopping trip recently I noticed an older woman trying to reach for a can of beans on the top shelf. She was attempting to climb up the shelf to reach. This particular bargain grocer doesn't have a large staff to assist customers, so I made sure that my (much taller) husband helped her get what she needed. Really it was no big deal, but It did make her day a little happier and she left with a smile.

I think spreading happiness is all about the little things. Holding a door or offering to help when you see someone in need is so easy. I am surprised how often people seem shocked that I am willing to help.  It can be so simple, but it can really change someone's attitude for the day. Shoot, just a kind smile can be a great way to pass on happiness.

Of course, the sky is the limit for doing for others. Before my children were born I loved to volunteer my time. I have also donated to causes when I can. Of course money and time don't have to be a limiting factor and a little creativity can go a long way.

By trying to be kind an considerate in my every day I hope to be raising two children who will also do the same. Could you imagine if we all started being kind to everyone we met? Talk about a great movement to share some happiness. I hope you all have a great day and if you find a chance  you will do something to make someone smile today.

So, I want to know.... what suggestions do you have for spreading happiness?

*Disclaimer - I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Hershey's blogging program, for a gift card worth $25 and some product. For more information on how you can participate, click here.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!