Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Wilton & Cupcakes Are a Good Combination!



For the past few weeks I have been taking Wilton's Decorating Basics class at my local Michael's. This week my cupcake post is just on the decorating side. This first class works with buttercream. Next month I will be taking the royal icing Flowers and Cake Design class.

I used simple vanilla bean cupcakes for this project and filled them with a Cool Whip and strawberry jam mousse.This was my first attempt at using Wilton's tip 230 for filling. Usually I cut out a cone to fill. This was definitely much faster.

I used both a thin consistency buttercream for frosting the cupcakes and the petals and a medium consistency for all of the flowers.


The cupcakes were delicious, but did not steal the show. That was reserved for the decorations!

For the base frosting (thin) I used the 1M tip with the large coupler. Starting at the outside working in, it is a fast and nice way to decorate the cupcakes. I still love my Dessert Decorator Plus for pure convenience.

We first made our Pompom flower. The illustration on Wilton's site is much prettier than mine. We created them on our Flower Nail and a square of parchment paper with tip 12 and tip 18 for practicing. I have to say that I would rather create it directly on the cupcake next time. I lost my outer ring when I attempted to transfer it over.

I think they look like firework bursts from the top! I might modify them for that purpose in the future.

Next we worked on our leaves with our thin consistency icing. Tip 352 was used, it resembles an open bird beak. Leaves were simple, but will take more practice to get them smooth and consistent.

The flowers were both drop flowers. Both the star flower and swirled flowers were easy and very pretty. The take the 2D tip. I will be making several of these ahead of time for next week's final cake project.

We also made rosettes with tip 18, shells with tip 21, and worked with tip 233 (the grass tip) to create a shaggy mum. Mine was flatter than shaggy, but I plan on practicing more with this tip for my Easter cupcakes.



I call this my Peacock cupcake. What do you think? Well, it was a lot of fun. Now I need to brainstorm ideas for my final project using a combination of these techniques. And next month? Well, I will be diving head first into Flowers and Cake Design.

If you are looking for more cupcake fun, check out Cupcake Tuesday:  



*Disclaimer - I received no compensation for this post. I signed up for the class and am sharing my experience with products I have purchased.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Oh those are too cute! I too am in the Wilton Basics decorating class. My final class is tonight actually, so wish me luck! I am posting my decorated cupcakes tomorrow, but they are nowhere near as cute as yours are! Hope you are having as much fun in your class as I am in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your cupcakes on Cupcake Tuesdays and think your cupcakes look great, can't wait to see your final project! I start taking the Wilton class next week, I'm super excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Andrea!! They look so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Shaggy Mum! Do you think I would be able to do that on the edge of a cake? I'm going to be making my sons bday cake and want to do something different for the edges. Kind of like it was flowing over the edges?

    Stopping by from comment love weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look super yummy--great job! Stopping by from comment love weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg... cute cute cute!
    new follower with wknd comment love,
    http://wearnailpolish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!