Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coca-Cola & Childhood Remembered

As an adult, I don't drink soda as much as I did in college, but I do still remember the magic of Coca-Cola when I was a child. My family didn't keep soda in the fridge all the time. We always had water and milk. "Coke" was for special occasions only and was a treat to be savored!

I remember how excited I was when I was allowed to order a "Coke" with dinner at a restaurant. This only happened if we were eating out with visiting family. We would often meet out of state family members at our favorite Chinese restaurant and once I was in school, I was old enough for a grown-up treat like a soda. This was before unlimited refills, so every straw-full was savored. Sweet, fizzy and delicious is what I remembered.

Now if I want to revisit my childhood, I only have to make Cherry Coke Cupcakes and am transported to carefree simplicity with every bite. Believe me, if you try these, you will enjoy yourself, too!

 Cherry Coke Cupcakes(makes 1 dozen cupcakes)

You will need:

Cupcakes
1 1/2 c. AP flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 packet of buttermilk powder
1 large egg
1/2 c. water
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 Tbs dutch process cocoa powder
3/4 c. Coca-Cola
1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
24 maraschino cherries

Cola Icing
1 c. confectioners sugar
2 tbsp cola

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla in another bowl, set aside. In a small saucepan, simmer the Coca-Cola, and cherry syrup gently for five minutes. Add the butter and cocoa powder, whisk to dissolve completely. Add the saucepan to the dry ingredients, and incorporate fully,  then add the liquid ingredients, beating until everything is moistened. Do not over mix the batter.

Fill each cupcake paper 3/4 full and push a cherry into the center of each cupcake. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

When cool drizzle over the Cola Icing and let dry. Top with cherry buttercream and a cherry


Now that should transport you back!! Enjoy. And don't forget to share!

For more great recipe ideas, visit www.cookingwithcoke.com

*Disclaimer - I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Our house was the same way growing up. Soda was only for special occasions....we usually had root beer but there was NEVER Pepsi it was always Coke:) Thanks for the recipe I might have to make these:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have given you an award! You can check it out here:
    http://www.newlycrunchymamaof3.com/3/post/2011/04/i-have-been-awarded-the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    Have a great day!
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!