Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Daring Bakers' April Challenge - Maple Mousse in Bacon

Welcome to another Daring Bakers' Challenge. I never know what to expect. Each month we are given a challenge and then need to complete it and post on the 27th. So, here it is...
The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container.

I have to admit I have never had either a Maple Mousse, or made a bacon cup before. The idea intrigued me, and I made an honest attempt. First came the edible cup:


Woven together, I laid it over my muffin tin and secured the pieces with toothpicks. Baked at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. I learned the hard way that the toothpicks should be removed as soon as they are cool enough to touch. Once the bacon has cooled completely it is very brittle.


See the holes? Not good. I was hoping my filling would be thick enough to stay inside...

So, onto the Maple Mousse. This was easy enough. 1 c. pure maple syrup, 3 egg yolks, 1 1/2 c. heavy cream and 1 package of gelatin.


I heat the maple up and beat the yolks. I tempered my yolks and then mixed them together.


Let the gelatin bloom in 1/4 cup. cream. Then add to the eggs. Whip the remaining cream and fold into the yolk mixture. Let this sit in the fridge and set up for at least an hour.

Then you only need to pipe it into your edible cup and chill till you are ready to serve it.


Mine were neither beautiful nor as delicate as I had wanted. I went with the example container and required filling since my creative side was lacking this month. (I think I still have Easter burn-out!) I do have some ideas about baked kale cups with a savory type of filling... hmmm... Stay tuned. I might have a make-over for these coming soon.

I have no idea what will be in store for next month's Daring Baker's Challenge... I kinda hope bread will be showing up soon. Till next month, happy baking!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Kind of hard to make a delicate bacon bowl- isn't it :) They look great though and bacon with the maple mousse sounds good to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My DH looked horrified when I put one in front of him. In the end he said it was really good. Ended up freezing the Mousse to make a chilled treat. It was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh delicious seems like bacon is appearing everywhere

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!