Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Getting Outside with the Family #C2Play2Day

Outside?

I think my toddlers would spend every waking hour outside if they could. There is something magical about just playing outside as a kid.

 I used to spend hours in the backyard climbing the trees, investigating under rocks and picking the blackberries and raspberries in the yard. I have very fond memories of those afternoons outside.

I knew I wanted the same for my children. I have two toddlers and they just love to feel the squish of mud between their toys, sand between their fingers and water from the sprinkler on their head.

We have a swing set and a sandbox but the most important thing outside is imagination. But even without special toys there is so much to do and explore. Just chasing the dog around can be fun. Our dog, Cooper, is always a very willing participant. Occasionally even an unsuspecting chicken ventures into a game of chase, but not too often.

Dirt?

Toddlers are attracted to it. I think it is part of their genetic blueprint.

So, why not have fun as a family? I started my garden this year with the kids. It got us outside, in the dirt and... dare I say it? It was educational. Best of all it is an activity we can all do together. The side benefit is we can enjoy eating our food now that Summer is coming to an end.

Getting outside as a family is so easy. We love bike rides together. I am the Mama huffing and puffing on the bike as the kiddos watch the scenery from their very comfy double trailer. They like to tell me all the things they see along the way.

Or what about those evening at the park together? I love that parks are free and fun. My son has to be a good boy for such a treat and we go till sundown after Dad comes home from work. Getting the chance to play chase and burn off extra energy is another bonus.

In honor of September 24th, the Worldwide Day of Play, Clorox currently has a Clorox2 Play2 Day Pledge (http://clorox2play2day.com). Because I know getting my kids outside is important and healthy for them, I took the pledge. We are going to aim for 3 hours outside every day. I figured with our walk and morning playtime in the backyard, that should be a breeze!


 Did I mention that you will be entered to win some cool prizes? Well, take the pledge, turn off the TV and go play! ...It is good for Mamas too.

*Disclaimer - I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Clorox2® blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to head over and take the pledge too. My family enjoys spending time outdoors, especially on weekends because we go camping. It keeps us active and we are able to get fresh air. A little dirt never hurt!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!