Monday, November 7, 2011

Crazy Cooking Challenge - Mashed Potatos!

This month I am trying out this NEW Linky Party called CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE.


Photobucket
What is it?

Well, the group is thrown a challenge... this month it was "Mashed Potatoes". Then go out and find a recipe, not from a famous chef or site but a good drool-worthy recipe, make it, blog about it and submit it for the vote! Yes, all the blogger make the same dish, but all the recipes are different. Deliciously different!

So, what did I find?

Well, a few weeks back, while pinning my night away, I came across this recipe on Creative Culinary for Mashed Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic and Chives.

With the holidays approaching and cold weather coming on, I am in full comfort food quest mode online. Nothing too decadent, but potatoes are always a favorite. I absolutely adore a rustic mashed potato with skins on and some real lumps. I am lucky that my DH's great grandmother also included some lumps.


Okay, I love me a good starchy pile of spuds, but with lemon? I have come across several recipes using lemon zest and wanted to give it a try. I mean, it has garlic in it, how could I go wrong?


So, I grabbed some red potatoes and Yukon gold or two jumped in to join the party.  I had the intent to pulverize and make then delicious. See how unsuspecting they are?

 
Melt the butter, warm up the minced garlic and add the lemon zest in for a splash of brightness I have never had in mashed potatoes before. It is darn good.


Boil, drain and get those taters ready to par-tay! They will be perfect to slip into that warmed butter...


Mixed with a bit of buttermilk (which is lowfat but big on flavor!), the butter mixture, some fresh chopped chives and lemon zest to add a little zing to a usually heavy dish, this side dish really shines.

I was very pleased with the recipe and want to ask you to vote. Vote for these Mashed Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic and Chives. Creative Culinary put together one yummy dish of mashed potatoes.  Don't you agree?

Be sure to check out all the Mashed Potato goodness on the Crazy Cooking Challenge's Linky. Everyone made the same thing, but the recipes are far from the same. Enjoy!
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'll have to try the addition of the lemon next time. These look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try these asap. My husband returned from Afghanistan a month ago with a new love for lemon. I suspect the lemon made even the awful DFAC food over there taste someone edible. I'm sure he would love this recipe!

    I love how you left on the skins - and I love getting bits of actual potato in mashed potatoes!

    Stopping by from CCC ~ Voted you up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great flavor combo especially with the addition of the lemon.

    If you haven't already I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry Aloo Tikki

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! Great Choice for THE CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the chunks in the mashed potatoes too. I have never had lemon in my potatoes, but I'll give it a try! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great combination of flavors! I bet these are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the lemon in this recipe, I want to try it. Great recipe for the Crazy Cooking Challenge, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great day.
    Miz Helen
    #8

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm I've never thought to add lemon to mashed potatoes but I do love lemon roasted potatoes so I imagine these are just as delicious!

    Jen #14
    Jenny's Cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lemon is a delightful addition -- thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo.... you're a girl after my own heart. I love them lumpy. The skins are good too!! Delish.


    Hope you'll stop by and see my Deep-Fried mozzarella Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls.

    :)
    ButterYum

    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2011/11/mozzarella-and-mashed-potato-balls.html

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!