Monday, November 14, 2011

Spanish Style Quinoa with The Secret Recipe Club - #Recipe

It's November, and time for another great blog and recipe from The Secret Recipe Club!


Secret Recipe Club

So, what's the big secret?

SRC members are assigned a participating blog. They can go through recipes, drool over posts and photos till they find a recipe to try. The "Ta-dah!" reveal is kept secret until today.  Sound like fun? This is the brain-child of Amanda from Amanda’s Cookin’, and you can join up, see the other blogs involved and get all the deets at The Secret Recipe Club blog.

This month I was assigned Vivian's blog Let's Try These. She is also a Stay-at-home Mom and shares my love of cooking, baking and canning. I love browsing recipes and when I say this recipe for  Spanish Style Quinoa , I knew it was "the one". I have 3 well used quinoa recipes and this would be a nice addition to my rotation. I also love that this is a very simple recipe and a great healthy side dish option.

You will need:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
1 cup uncooked quinoa 
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced 
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste * (I changed this from sauce)
2 1/2 cups water * (I used stock here)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 




Chop the onion and green pepper and place them in a pot with oil. I like to add just a pinch of salt to get them to sweat a little.




Cook till just softened and add in the minced garlic to warm through and quinoa to toast. 


 Then I added my paste. Warm it till fragrant then add in the chicken stock (or plain water if you prefer).



 Add the seasoning and then bring the pot up to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer, cover and let it cook for about 30 minutes. The liquid should be absorbed the quinoa will be tender.


Oh, boy did it make the house smell good! 


We enjoyed ours along with a quick quesadilla for a delicious lunch. I packed up and froze the leftover to use later this month when I make enchiladas. Thanks for the recipe Vivian!




...and if you thought that looked good, be sure to check out the Linky full of SRC members and their chosen dishes. The real question is, what will you pin or make first?






Pin It

14 comments:

  1. What a fun twist on Spanish rice! I need to pick up some quinoa and try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the recipe as its a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. always looking for new ways to enjoy quinoa! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good. My mom used to always make Spanish rice when I was growing up...I love quinoa, so I am sure to like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a very delicious recipe that we would really enjoy. This is a great pick for the SRC! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
    Miz Helen
    http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/2011/11/brussels-sprouts-salad-with-warm-bacon.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful and healthy alternative to Spanish rice. I'll be saving this recipe to try soon. I hope you'll stop by and see my SRC post for Honey Vinaigrette Marinated Grilled Chicken.

    :)
    ButterYum
    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2011/11/honey-vinaigrette-grilled-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always looking for good quinoa recipes. Thanks! If you haven't already, I'd love it if you'd check out my SRC recipe for Crockpot Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great -- so fun to be in SCR with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have wanted to try quinoa for such a long time. Thanks for sharing this recipe. You've inspired me to try to find a place that carries quinoa in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't thought to make quinoa in years but this recipe has me wanting to make it again.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group 'A' SRC recipe this month: Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  11. This does sound like a really good quinoa recipe, different from most I've seen, but with flavors that are often used in Spanish rice, so I think my kids would like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds tasty! We love quinoa at home, I will have to test this out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love quinoa. What a delicious recipe. Perfect with tacos or quesadillas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like the perfect dish. I love spanish style rice and quinoa is delicious so the two together is amazing. Wonderful choice for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!