Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Childhood Secrets: If My Parents Ever... #BlogDare

No matter how open communication is with your parents growing up, there is bound to be some things they never knew...

I was a pretty good kid with really no secrets to speak of. I do remember one incident when I was in 5th or 6th grade when I went a little "wild" in the kitchen.

Now, my parents were gone for the day and I decided I was going to learn how to make candy. If you have ever attempted your own candy, you will know it takes some specialized equipment, specifically a candy thermometer, and instructions regarding temperatures and safety.

I was determined that I would be a natural in the kitchen and let my curious side get the better of me. Did my Mom every make candy? No. Did I have any idea what I was doing or how dangerous it could have been? No way.

Using my Mother's good glass saucepan I melted and cooked down the sugar... melting at least one rubber spatula in the process and of course ruining the pan. Some small flames ensued and with a full counter of dirty dishes I set the pan down on our kitchen floor.

The floor, for some insane reason, was carpeted with a highly flammable 70's short nap. Yeah, it melted, smoked and scared me half to death. So horrified by a pan melted to the carpet in the center of our kitchen, I cut around the carpet with a knife. The gaping hole in the kitchen floor was worse! I was sure that making my own caramels would be simple and delicious. Really all I made was a horrible disaster in the kitchen.

The mess was discovered and punishment was handed down, but I am still not sure if they knew exactly what happened. I am still shocked that I didn't hurt myself in the process. Ah, the luck of childhood.

So is there anything your parents never found out? Do share!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. haha oh no! I can't believe you cut around the carpet!! So have you ever tried making candy since??

    I'm visiting from Blog Dare... I'd love for you to check out my site http://our365days.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEK! I cannot imagine how upset your parents must have been to have found a ruined carpet along with the other mess. What a blessing that you were not hurt. I think that story tops anything I could come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the hole was patched, but was a constant reminder of what trouble I got into when left home alone. Actually, I have gotten into candy, but now have a good candy thermometer and proper pans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy - coming from a family of firefighters (husband, dad & brother) you're so lucky the carpet didn't catch fire!

    On the flip side, it makes for a funny story and thank goodness the carpet was the only casualty!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!