Friday, March 23, 2012

Earthquake Cake #Recipe


Sometimes cake is in order.

It doesn't always have to be fancy. It doesn't always have to be frosted, decorated or resembling anything other than cake. This Earthquake Cake fits the bill. It also is quite a treat to enjoy! The cake cracks while it bakes and hence the name.

This week I am joining Mama Chocolate and   .... for Fun with Food Friday. This recipe was sent in by Misti S.


You Will Need:
1 c. chopped nuts (I used a combination of pecans and walnuts)
1 c. coconut
1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix, made according to directions on the box
1 stick of butter, + more for greasing the dish
1 8oz. package of cream cheese
1 lb. of powdered sugar


I was happy to find I had all the ingredients already for this cake. It was also a nice way to treat my husband after a long day's work. Lucky for me it took only a few minutes to throw together!


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Spread 1 cup chopped nuts on the bottom of a greased 9x13 dish. 




Then add the coconut as a layer on top. Don't mix.




Then grab a bowl and mix up the cake mix according to the directions on the box. Mine called for eggs, oil and water. Then I poured the cake batter directly on top of my  pan. Again, don't mix. I just spread the batter out to fill the pan.




Easy, right? Now grab a small saucepan and melt the butter and cream cheese over medium heat. Keep an eye on this and stir to prevent scorching. Then turn off the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar.




Now pour this cream cheese mixture over the cake batter. ...and you probably guessed it, don't mix it.
Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.




The frosting sinks and the cake cracks. I was left with a moist cake full of sass and attitude. My husband enjoyed it and it only got better the second day.




A big thank you to Misty for submitting this recipe to Mama Chocolate's blog

Check out more Fun with Food Friday co-hosts with Mama Chocolate & Easy Crockpot Orange Chicken and Trista at Andersons Angels with Fruit Smoothies
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that looks sooooo good right now. I need a chocolate fix, ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, that looks yummy! I haven't baked in a while and this looks like one to try! Stopping by from DBM Top 9 :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!