Thursday, March 15, 2012

Eek! How Do I Turn the Water Heater Off?

I am not handy around the house.

I can cook, I can craft and I can kiss boo-boos, but you won't find me taking up a tool belt anytime soon. Last year my worst nightmare came true. I was faced with a household problem way out of my league. I couldn't figure out how to turn the water heater off! I mean, what do I know about water heater repair?

Our water heater is located in the far corner of our utility room. There is so much stuff stored in there, I am surprised we can even see the water heater let alone get to it. Mid-morning I just happened to notice a thick, rusty sludge pouring out of the water heater. My first thought was panic! Remember, I am not handy.

The shallow pan surrounding the unit was full and starting to overflow. Not only was I worried about water damage on the floor, but this was some nasty, rust-colored liquid flowing out. I raced to grab rags to mop up the floor and place around the bottom.

Then, I called my husband.

My husband is a farmer. He doesn't sit behind a desk conveniently poised to answer the phone or have someone to take a message for him, either. He is usually sitting on a tractor and can't hear his phone or he is in the middle of something and can't talk.

I left a message.

All the while there is water still coming out of the water heater! I grabbed more rags and replaced the first. When I finally did get a call back he asked me to shut off the water. There might as well have been one hundred switches and dials on the water heater. I couldn't figure out what to do. I tried my best to turn it off and thought I had. The water didn't stop.

Eventually, with much convincing that I truly was a damsel in distress, my husband came home. He was able to turn it off and then assessed that the water heater had given up the ghost. Maybe it is a little known fact but water heaters should not bleed rusty, thick liquid. That was pretty much a sign that we needed a new water heater.

We did brave through a day without hot water.. I don't want to do that again with two small children. Luckily I was able to get help to locate a new water heater and get it installed properly. I am grateful that there are people out there who are handy.

...so I am not still mopping up that mess and trying to figure out how to turn it off!

*Disclaimer - I am participating in a blogger campaign by Bucks2Blog and was
compensated for this post. However, the story, opinions and water heater disaster are my own.
Pin It