Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Basket #Craft - A Simple Tutu Basket


While on Pinterest a few weeks ago I found an adorable tutu Easter basket from The Ribbon Retreat Blog. I knew immediately it was perfect for my little girl.

I went to Michaels and grabbed supplies to match her Easter dress, but when I got home I realized the basket in the post was a very loose weave basket. The tulle can easily be slipped between the weave. My basket was not loose weave. I fell in love with a very tightly woven dark stained basket. The color really went well with my daughter's dress.

So, I improvised making this an option for any basket you choose.


I grabbed 2 1/2 yards of tulle, cream satin ribbon and a hydrangea that matched the dress. Well, it was the closest flower I could find.

Start by securing the ribbon around the basket. I tucked it behind the handle and then hot glued 6 points around the rim. Leave a little slack (not much) so you can tuck the tulle under the ribbon.


I also chose to wrap the handle. Use the glue gun to secure it.


Then use a slip knot to tie on the tulle strips. I cut my strips around 8" long. Don't worry about being exact. You can trim them later and varied lengths give the skirt a more full appearance. If you have ever made a tie-on tutu, this is the same technique. Fold the tulle in half and poke it under the ribbon. I glued my ribbon on pretty tight, so I used the end of my scissors to help push the tulle under. Then slip the end through the loop on the top and pull.

Then embellish as you like. I used a few segments of the hydrangeas to decorate around the handle. I also wrapped and embellished a matching head band for my daughter. After I was finished I trimmed up my tulle to make it even all the way around.



This basket is super easy to make. It took me two evenings with a lot of interruptions, but I could have easily finished it while watching a movie. My daughter loves it and now we are set for Easter!

What will you fill your Easter baskets with this year?
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another excellent post. The place else could anyone get that
    kind of information in such a perfect method
    of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm at
    the search for such information.

    Take a look at my webpage - diets that work fast for women

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!