Sunday, June 10, 2012

Post Bowls of Hope - Sharing with our Community #PostCFK


If your kids are like mine, the first thing out of their mouths in the morning is, "Mom, what's for breakfast?" or "I'm hungry!" My kids greet every day hungry but it is simple enough for me to grab their favorite cereal or make them their favorite breakfast.

Now, what if there wasn't food in the house to feed them? I can't even imagine.

I have been involved with previous Champions for Kids SIMPLE Service Projects but June's Post Bowls of Hope project (#PostCFK) was very fitting for my community. Unemployment here is high and many families need assistance to feed their children in the Summer months when school is out. With the loss of timber jobs in our area in the 90's, the local economy hasn't improved since then.


We started our project at our local Walmart. I love the cereal selection and prices there. Post is encouraging families to help end child hunger with their "Buy 2, Give 1" campaign. Just pick up 2 great Post cereals and donate one to a local food pantry, church or other organization to help feed children. Simple, right?


I purchased a variety of items on our trip well-suited for breakfast. I grabbed some of our favorite Post cereals - Honey Bunches of Oats, Honey Combs, Great Grains and Raisin Bran, syrup, juice, fruit and pancake mixes to donate. Which Post cereal is your favorite? Catch the whole trip in my Google+ album.


For our family, I kept a box of Honey Combs. I love the size and shape for kids to snack on. The sweet taste and finger-friendly size brought a smile to my 4-year old's face. It was his first taste of a cereal I enjoyed as a child.


I collected non-perishable food items for our local UCAN Food Bank. They are always in need of food and when I called for more information they said they are happy to take even one box or can. Every little bit helps.

I am thrilled to say that we collected 38 lbs of food for our food bank. It was a great chance to get my young children involved with giving back to the community. I would love for them to grow up remembering all the great community service campaigns we contributed to as a family. They not only helped me shop for the items, collect, but also helped deliver the bags of food. ...and try out the pantry's big scale!

Staples like rice, beans, canned goods and cereal are always welcome at our local food bank.

38 lbs of food! More than either of the kids weigh.
Getting involved this month with Champions for Kids is easy! Be sure to stop by the Champions for Kids site for inspiration or keep track of all the good things happening over on their Facebook Page and Twitter.

Pick up an extra box of cereal on your next shopping trip, clean out the pantry or host your own food drive with friends, family or coworkers to help end childhood hunger your community. I am fighting childhood hunger. Will you join me?

Connect with Post on Facebook
or Twitter @PostCereals

*Disclaimer - I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™. #CBias #SocialFabric  All opinions are my own.

Andrea
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. What a great project - high five to you and your family for doing such an admirable job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful project and campaign - I love how easy it is to get the kids involved too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project and I love how involved your kids are so cute holding their cereal boxes up for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job! And what a neat experience to share with your kids when they're young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful campaign! I love that your children got to see and help you give back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "Buy 2, Give 1" campaign. What an easy way to remember to pick something up for those who are less fortunate than we are. This was such a great way to teach your kids how to give back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Champions for Kids such great project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great campaign (for the cause as well as to teach your kids about giving back)... and, wow! 38 pounds of food is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wholly Molly - that's a lot of food - You did amazing job

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!