Thursday, June 21, 2012

Save with Walgreens Prescription Savings Club even if Insured! #rxsavingsclub #CBias

So, here's a personal question. What's in your medicine cabinet?


Ours is bursting.

There are enough odds and ends that we have a whole drawer devoted to just blood tests, a place for our daily vitamins and seasonal allergy medications in the actual bathroom medicine cabinet.

We are a healthy family of 4, but we have prescriptions for the kids' multivitamins, My prescription prenatal vitamins, assorted medicine for seasonal allergies (3 out of 4 of us are affected), and my children require special prescription medical beverages and blood testing supplies for their PKU. Whew!

It is a lot to be in charge of. We are insured and most of what we need is covered, but in the past we have experienced glitches in the system or found things that were excluded. When I heard about the Walgreens Prescription Savings Club, #rxsavingsclub,  I knew I needed to find out more.

#CBias shop

If you think a prescription club might not be right for you because you are already insured, you might want to keep reading. What I discovered made me eager and excited to join the club. It can provide savings for my entire family and our pets even though we are currently insured.


It just so happened that our local stores currently have reader board messages posted about the program.
Before I set foot in the store though, I did a little research online. On the pharmacy page at Walgreens.com you can find more information about the cost, benefits of the club and even sign up right online. I was hooked when I saw the savings is guaranteed. How? Well, the average savings is over $170/yr, but if you don't save your membership cost, they'll give you the difference. 


Okay. I am willing to give it a try.


Our stores are relatively new in town and I started using them occasionally because the hours were much longer than any other pharmacy in town. I remember driving around with my husband after having my first C-section and not knowing who was open to fill my pain medication prescription.

Of course there is more to Walgreens than just the pharmacy, but it is usually what gets me in the door. I always grab a circular when I walk in. There are often great deals on vitamins and other non prescription items as well as make-up.


To sign up for the Prescription Savings Club I went back to the pharmacy to speak with a pharmacist. Signing up was simple. I added all four of us to the club and only needed names and birth dates. Sign up doesn't require insurance cards or information and was completed in less than 5 minutes. Family coverage only cost $35 for the year and now I feel better knowing we will have options if our insurance won't cover an unexpected new prescription.

I also wanted to let you know that this club covers pets prescriptions as well. We have both a cat and a dog, but I am not sure we would be comfortable having to pay a large prescription bill for either of them out of pocket. Our cat is older and this gives me another option.


One of my favorite parts of the club is that when I purchase Walgreens brand products, like the allergy medication we all use, I get a 10% bonus applied at check out.  There is also a 5-20% discount on most immunizations offered as a club member. That will come in handy around Flu season.


We left with a couple boxes of Band-Aids and our Prescription Savings Club membership information. You can view our entire shopping experience in my Google+ album.  Our card will arrive in the mail in 10-14 days, but our discounts started immediately. With receipts we can either go online or call to add our earned bonuses to the account until the card arrives.


When our current prescriptions are ready to be refilled I will call to make the switch over to our local Walgreens. Until then I won't see any savings but I did get another option in keeping our medical bills affordable. Check with your store since some areas even have incentives for switching pharmacies. Sadly, Oregon is not one of them.

You can also connect with Walgreens on Twitter or Facebook and find out more about the Prescription Savings Club online (bit.ly/rxsavingsclub) or in your local Walgreens pharmacy.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this program. Are you a member? What benefits sound best to you?

*Disclaimer- I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This content has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Walgreens. #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinions are my own.

Andrea
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love that you can save on things you need in addition to prescriptions. (Like my never ending need for allergy meds!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sure to save with a family your size, including the pets! You'll have to let us all know how much you end up saving for the year!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!