Saturday, August 11, 2012

Elmer's Pinterest Inspired - DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Tray

I love finding ideas on Pinterest and have several projects pinned on my "Must-Make" board. This week I wanted to make myself an inexpensive magnetic chalkboard tray for my kitchen. I wanted something big enough to hold a recipe or two, but also with the ability to write on and leave notes.

I found this one on Pinterest:


The problem was, the description on this pin was what I actually wanted to make. I loved the idea of using an inexpensive baking pan (magnetic), but this tutorial was actually for a picture frame. No problem! I can get creative.

For this DIY Magnetic Chalkboard Tray you will need:
  1. 1 metal baking tray
  2. sandpaper 
  3. 1 can of chalkboard paint
  4. Krazy Glue - Craft
  5. Magnetic Buttons
  6. Elmer's Single Painters - Gold
  7. Ribbon of your choice
  8. Craft stand
  9. Fine tipped scissors
With my shopping list ready, I set out to our local Walmart for a little #GluenGlitter fun!


I wanted my tray to be decorated around the edges, but also wanted to add a bow on top and create coordinating magnets to use on it. To create these embellishments I picked up a package of Krazy Glue - Craft which comes in a no run gel perfect for this project.


I grabbed most of my supplies, and a few extras, at our local Walmart. Unfortunately our store didn't have any more chalkboard paint, but I was able to find the Krazy Glue, Pizza Pan and other supplies there. You can check out my entire shopping trip in my Google+ album.


In order for the paint to stick well, my husband suggested scuffing the surface with sandpaper. He also offered to help with the painting. He has had a fair amount of practice,;Co I agreed. With every coat that was applied the surface became smootsUr. QuiqK short passes until the surface is covered, work best.


In the end it took 5 coats and the surface was very smooth and even. The chalkboard paint dries quickly, so this part of the project was finished in about 2 hours.


After the painting was finished, the following day I assembled all my other supplies. I had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do, but a few parts were left to trial and error.


For the details around the rim of my tray, I used an Elmer's Single Painter in gold. I had a stencil that I loved but it didn't work well with the surface or the paint pen. I ended up doing it all freestyle, but the paint pen made that easy and dried quickly. You can find other great inspiration for Elmer's products like this in their Craft It Community.


I chose a simple pencil bow for the top. This is a bow I use a lot in hair ribbons for my daughter. It sounds complicated, but really isn't. With a little practice you can do these quickly.

Take a length of ribbon, I chose 22 inches to allow for long tails. With a pencil, mark the center of the ribbon. Then form two loops on either side of the middle mark. Take the right side loop and bring it around and through the other. Don't worry if the loops are showing the wrong side, just be sure the center knot is right-side up. Turn the bow loops around till the pattern side of the ribbon shows. Pull tightly.

If you use a solid color ribbon you don't need to adjust your bow at all. Just tie and smooth out since there is no wrong-side to the ribbon.

Then I used the Krazy Glue to attach it to the top of my tray and also I wanted the ribbon ends to be out of the way and attached them also. Finish off your ribbon edges by quickly passing them over a lighter. This will keep them from fraying later.



In the end my project supplies totaled $22.74, but with all the supplies I have left over the this project itself cost me much less and is exactly what I wanted to keep my work space organized in the kitchen. I might even whip up a few more with holidays themes. The round chalkboard painted trays would store easily and allow me to switch them out as needed.

Be sure to connect with Elmer's on Facebook and on Twitter for more inspiration and product information. Also catch the buzz of the GluenGlitter community on Twitter with projects like this one.


*Disclaimer - I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Elmer’s #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinions are my own.
Andrea
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Cute!! I can't wait to redo my kitchen so I can include fun little projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice, Andrea! What a fun project. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, LOVE this! I will totally be making one of these :) No more ruined recipe cards from dirty fingers - and no more need to run back and forth between the office and kitchen to view the recipe online! Plus you can make notes to yourself about what steps you may have changed as you go along - or write the menu for the evening on there. So many ways to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's super cute! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a creative spin off the Pinterest craft. I love what you did, and I might just make one myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!