Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Menopause Awareness Month - Preparing for the 2nd Talk #PoiseFab5


I will be turning 34 in a month.

I am not too young to be learning about how my body is changing. Yes, I said it. The body of a 20-year old, 30-year old and 40-year old are all different. Am I afraid of change?  Well, I am more afraid of my beloved coffee drink recipe being changed unexpectedly one morning than my body changing. Change is natural and I refuse to fear it.

September is Menopause Awareness Month and it is great time to learn what to watch for, talk with friends or relatives who have been through it and learn tips and tricks to help with the symptoms. This is a great time to get educated as Poise hopes to rally 1 million women to have the 2nd Talk by World Menopause day on October 18th.


Remember the 1st Talk? Oh, boy. My Dad gave it to me. In a few years I will be giving it to my daughter. The 2nd Talk is just as important, and doesn't have to be as uncomfortable. It is a great chance to bond with the fabulous women in our lives. I hope someday to talk with my daughter about it - share symptoms, tips and funny stories. It may be natural, but laughter still can help.

Even though I am in my 30's there are changes I have already noticed and show up on the perimenopause symptom list. I have had problems sleeping since my children were born. No, not because of the kids. I am now a lighter sleeper and get overheated easily at night. I also have more mood swings and weight gain has become a bigger issue. (Though I doubt my husband would admit to the mood swings out loud!) Some of those may come with aging, but I will be sure to discuss them further with my doctor if they get any worse.

Perimenopause Symptoms Include:

  • Weight Gain
  • Fatigue
  • Sleep Disruption
  • Subtle Memory Loss
  • Cycle Changes
  • Hot Flashes
  • ...and more
I watched several videos from the Poise.com site and each woman told a different story.  Perimenopause and Menopause are personal journeys, though one expert mentioned women often share similarities with their own mother's experience. The common thread seemed to be drastic changes in body or mood. Hormone changes display different symptoms in all of us, and this seems to be no different.

So what is the difference between Perimenopause and Menopause?

Seems like age is a big factor. Perimenopause is usually associated with a woman in her 40's, though the symptoms can begin in her late 30's. The big event of Menopause is when a woman's childbearing years end and she goes without a menstrual period for at least 12 months.

A few years back I invited my Mom for a visit while I was living in Japan. I planned out our trip and booked an adorable little bed and breakfast. She unexpectedly experienced a Perimenopause symptom overnight, sudden heavy cycle, and we spent the wee hours of the morning scrubbing the white sheets and futon and drying them with a teeny-tiny hair dryer. Symptoms can definitely hit at the most inconvenient times!


Walmart has a great campaign running for #PoiseFab5, 5 great products to help with your perimenopause or menopause symptoms, and a group of 5 fabulous ladies dishing all the details of their experiences on http://see.walmart.com/poisefabfive/. While there be sure to snag your $1 off coupon. If you are curious to learn more, this is a great place to start. It might even bring up some questions you can take to your friends or discuss with your doctor.



These are popular products! I had to go to my local Walmart twice to get them all. You can see my entire shopping experience in my Google+ album.


5 products all to help with the symptoms that come from this big change. I have to admit the cooling towelettes are amazing! I have been with friends or family when they start to have a hot flash and I know these would have helped. I might even stash a package in the car, just to be prepared.

Now I feel more prepared for the changes that are coming. Are you?

Connect with Poise on Twitter, their Facebook page and come check out the 2nd Talk Pinterest board I am a part of with this campaign.

*Disclaimer - I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Poise #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinions and experiences are my own. Always talk to a doctor for medical advice.
Andrea
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. That is awesome that they have those products available! Thanks for spreading the word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Poise has products for all of the symptoms! I am not quite there yet, but it's good to know for the future, and for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting up there too!! Age 38! YIKES!! Did I just admit to that? Thanks for the ideas for products! I'm sure I'll be needing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea they offered so many products! I guess I'll be needing them soon myself! EEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your attitude - I, too, need my coffee to stay the same, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so not looking forward to menopause BUT I am glad that there are products like this out there to help me get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all this information. I'll admit I haven't really thought about it much... but I'm not very far away, so it's nice to know a little more about what I can expect. And more importantly, that there are products out there that will easily help with the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I'm in my "late 30s" now and really had no idea that this "change" could be creeping up soon. Thanks for sharing this information!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just turned 40 and am starting to have some changes. I'm not scared, just annoyed at some of them!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW - I absolutely love your last picture. It is so important to know this stuff ahead of time

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!