Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Why Have Kids? by Jessica Valenti - Available Now


WHY HAVE KIDS
A New Mom Explores the Truth about Parenting and Happiness
by Jessica Valenti
Released: September 4, 2012· Amazon/New Harvest· 208 pages
 ISBN: 978-0-8050-9412-1
 Digital List · ASIN: B008L4KT6W

Leave it to a high-profile young feminist to tackle the question, "Why have kids?" (or not) head on. This open and honest conversation about parenthood looks at our vision of parenthood versus the realities in our current culture.

Valenti combines reporting, new scientific studies and even her own experiences into motherhood. From the tricky "Mommy Wars" to the working or stay-at-home Mom clash, she explores what we all fear the most, the "Mommy guilt", exhaustion and other emotions along the spectrum.

“This is a book about how the American ideal of parenting doesn’t match the reality of our lives, and how that incompatibility is hurting parents and children,” says Valenti.  “The truth about parenting is that the reality of our lives needs to be enough. Seeking out an ideal that most of us can never reach is making us, and our kids, miserable.” 


Does the pressure to be a perfect parent, have a perfect pregnancy or perfect birth take all the joy out of the experience?

Why Have Kids? Explores all of these topics and more. I can't wait to read it and I hope you will put this on your reading list as well. Once my copy arrives I will post my personal review. For now my interest is piqued and I can't wait to see what Jessica Valenti has to say about it all.

Jessica Valenti is the author of three previous books, including The Purity Myth: How America’s Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women. She resides in Boston, but her heart belongs to New York.

Connect with the author at: http://jessicavalenti.com/
Find her on twitter @JessicaValenti

Also join in tomorrow for the #WhyHaveKids Twitter Party
9/13 - 8-9 pm ET
Fabulous prizes to be announced
RSVP: HERE


*Disclaimer - This review was made possible by Mom Spark Media. Thoughts are my own. I received a copy of Why Have Kids? and compensation for my time investment and work on this campaign. 
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!