Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Easy Orange Cranberry Sauce #Recipe


If you are not a fan of cranberry sauce, I would love to ask, why?

If you are like me, you were probably raised on the jelly-filled can that came with convenient ridges - for easy slicing. Kinda like a giant jiggler for turkey-day.

I always put a little on my plate. That was rule. Odd, rubbery texture with a tangy, sour fruit flavor. It seemed rather alien and contrived. It was always a mandatory fixture on the Thanksgiving table, though.

Now, as an adult I have a different view of my food. I like to see it in it's natural state. I have ditched the cans, the boxes and anything that calls for me to, "just add water and stir".  So, when I tried making cranberry sauce a few years back I was shocked. It is so simple and I even have a great, crowd-pleasing recipe to share with you. I cut back on the sugar, but depending on your berries and tastes, you might want to adjust accordingly. You can make it a few days ahead, but I enjoy how it makes my home smell on the holiday itself.

The Oregon coast sells it's fair share of cranberries. I feel lucky to have them available so fresh and plump. No, I don't buy frozen, but if that is all you have available it is still better than jelled from a can.


Grab some fresh cranberries, or thaw frozen. With a little orange zest, orange juice and sugar, you can have yourself homemade cranberry sauce in about 30 minutes.


Orange Cranberry Sauce
adapted from Martha Stewart.com

You Will Need:

  • 1 heaping cup of fresh, whole cranberries
  • 1/2 c. fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 2 large strips of orange zest
  • 1/2 c. sugar


Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring it up to a boil, stirring so all the sugar is dissolved. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and let it reduce for 20 minutes.

Let it cool then store in the fridge. It will thicken as it cools.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love any and all cranberry sauce made with real fresh cranberries! Your recipe is similar to mine. I went to an early Thanksgiving potluck dinner at church this past Sunday and had a really delicious cranberry sauce. The lady adds fresh strawberries to basically the same recipe. Delicous flavor!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!