Wednesday, December 19, 2012

How Do I Handle A Fear of School?

After everything that went on last week. I haven't been able to stop thinking about the fact my little 5-year old will begin school next Fall.

Seems like a long ways off, right?

Tomorrow we head for a yearly check-up and I know the question of immunizations will come up since registration for kindergarten is in the Spring. Yikes!

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with sending their kids off? A little more than Mother's First Day Fears in light of the most recent school shooting. I have been going back and forth with my husband about homeschooling, schooling at home and public school based on just food and education alone. This threw in one more thing to consider. Are our schools safe places?

Don't get me started on the big yellow school buses. Why in the world are they the only vehicle that doesn't require seat belts?

But, I digress. With the lack of school parties, fun and free playtime our schools have become more like an institution than a place to inspire learning. My son is a strong-willed child, bright but very curious and active. The last thing I want is to crush his spirit with a stifling routine that doesn't allow him to express himself. What changes will take place in schools in the coming year to make our children safer - and will it just make them feel more like inmates doing time till graduation?

So much to think about. With a heavy heart, but optimistic hope I will go through with registration and give our neighborhood school a try. I can only pray that I am making the correct decision for my son, but reserve the right to take it back at any time. It is a big responsibility and commitment to educate a child. I had my own experiences with both homeschooling and private school, so it is not a course I will take lightly.

Have the recent events in our country changed your views on public schools? How did you make a decision either way regarding your child's education?
Andrea
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I come from a family of teachers and I'm a classroom visitor myself for work.
    Just remember that schools are places full of wonderful people who are there because they love children and want the best for them. And remember the tragedy last week was so powerful and tragic because it's not something that happens normally.
    I hope your 5 year old has a wonderful school experience!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!