Monday, January 7, 2013

Creamy Baked Hominy Recipe - Our Winter Comfort Food


Tonight we fired up the wood stove. To me the Winter chill brings on my love of slippers, big sweaters and comfort foods. One of our creamy, cheesy favorites is a great alternative to the usual Mac n' Cheese. Yes, I love homemade macaroni and cheese, but I dislike all the work involved in a good beschemel and all the cheese needed to dress up my elbow pasta.

This dish is a favorite of my husband's and I got the recipe from my Mother-in-Law. I added in the chicken stock for a creamier finished product, but the best part of this recipe is how simple and quick it goes together.



It uses sour cream so you get all the creamy, hot, goodness without all those cups upon cups of cheese.

What is hominy? Well, dried maize kernels are softened in a process called nixtamalization. It is soaked, cooked and then hulled leaving a corn that is soft and easier to digest.

During the Winter I make sure to keep a couple extra cans of hominy and diced green chilis handy to make this dish. It also works great for potlucks and we have even taken it up on ski trips to share with friends. This hearty dish just may become a new comfort-food favorite in your house as well.


Baked Hominy

You Will Need:

  • 2 - 1lb, 13 oz cans of Hominy (white or yellow), rinsed and drained
  • 2 pints sour cream
  • 1/2 c. chicken stock
  • 6 Tbsp. grated onion
  • 3 c. Jack Cheese
  • 1 - 4oz can diced green chilies
  • 1 c. bread crumbs
  • 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper


Start by preparing all the ingredients. Drain your cans of hominy then rinse them and set aside in a colander so excess water can drain off. This recipe is basically add, mix and bake so having everything ready to go will keep preparation fast.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl mix up the sour cream, chicken stock, grated onion and green chilies Whisk till the liquid is pretty smooth and well incorporated.


Add in the hominy, grated cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well. Then place in a 9"x13" casserole dish.


Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly on top and then drizzle with the melted butter.

Bake for 30 minutes until the hominy is bubbly and the top has browned.


It is a rich, but comforting dish so I like to serve it with a quick salad and steamed vegetables. It makes me feel less guilty about the cheese.


Enjoy!

Andrea
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. I've never tried a recipe like that before, I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had hominy before, but that looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had hominy before either but this looks so good I'd love to try it. I'll have to keep my eye out for it next time I'm shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have never has hominy before - looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another gal who has never tried hominy, but that dish looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!