Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Current Projects - Knitting for Baby

I mentioned I am trying to overhaul my craft room. With a baby on the way my creative side has needed an outlet. I used to knit or craft all the time.

My quiet and creative "down-time" turned into time spent with my kids, changing diapers or nursing. But I have really missed it. Over the next year I am sure I will have many projects to share with you, but my first love is knitting and yarn.

I first learned how to knit from a babysitter when I was in 1st grade. She gave me my first set of plastic needles and a skein of pale yellow thread. I remember knitting to my heart's content. I knitted doll blankets, scarves and well, just knitted. I took my kit everywhere with me and fell in love with the clack of the needles.

As an adult I tried to pick it back up. I am pretty rusty and have several books to remind me of simple things like cast-on methods and abbreviations. Though I made some hats, mittens and booties for my first child, I haven't really picked up the needles for several years. I have really missed it.

So I dusted off a few favorite baby pattern books and chose my first project.




I am going to start with an swatch sampler blanket in a rainbow of colors out of The Expectant Knitter by Marie Connolly. I am knitting with a soft Merino yarn that is also a lot of fun to work with. The sampler will help me regulate my tension and just practice different patterns. Boy, I started out knitting tight this morning! As my first green swatch knitted up, I relaxed and became more consistent.


Isn't this an adorable blanket? We still don't know the gender (we will in Feb.!) so I am doing some bold and bright gender-neutral colors. I already love it.

Another great knitting book I recommend is Natural Knits for Babies and Moms by Louisa Harding.


I made several projects out of this book for my son including the striped hats, mittens and booties. I also made one for my new nephew last year out of the same brown and off-white pictured.


All knitted on straight needles, it is easy for a beginner to knit up. I have done some double pointed and circular needle work in the past but I am really out of practice. I am pretty sure I am going to have to reteach myself how to do those again.

I am doing all my projects for baby #3 in natural fibers and even want to try out some super soft bamboo that I picked up. Baby projects are a great intro into wool and natural blends because the projects knit up fast and the materials are not as expensive as for a full adult sweater, etc.

Next week I hope to have a project update for you and a peak at my sampler squares.

What are you making this week?
Andrea
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Those look like beautiful and fun projects. Good luck, I hope they come out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet!!! My sister has just started knitting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to learn to knit. Looks like you're on your way to a beautiful blanket and more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to learn also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a book last to teach me to knit, but I am so uncoordinated with knitting. I would love to knit.

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!