Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Help to Navigate iPad Apps for Kids Is Here!

For Dummies

In our age of having an app for just about everything, do all those choices seem rather...daunting? Well, it takes me a long time to narrow down and select apps for my own use, but trying to find one to educate and entertain my child? Well, that is a very tall order.

iPad apps are a great source of entertainment in those inconvenient times when we have to wait. My 5-year old and 3-year old have very little patience for sitting and waiting. When it comes to an unexpected Dr. office wait or restaurant wait my kids often turn to me and ask if they can play a game.

That is when the panic sets in. Why? Because just downloading the first "game" I find never works out. It either is a let down, the kids get bored or costs more than it's worth. I am happy to say that the For Dummies brand has some great advice for parents like me. They now have iPad Apps for Kids for Dummies.

The beauty of this book is they list more than 200 iPad Apps and breaks those down into groupings by age, interest or special needs. There are so many apps out there and this is a great resource to find the ones that are best suited for your child.

For Dummies

I love that this book is in color, so you can really get an idea of how cute some of these apps are. I first browsed the toddler section. I found many that would suit my 3-year old, including some of her favorite characters like Pat the Bunny and Sandra Boynton's Moo, Baa, La La La.

My son is older and is interested in music and science. Of course, there are apps to suit him listed in the book, too. From Sid the Science Kid to Star Walk for iPad (interactive astronomy guide) there are many things that would not only keep him happy, but educate him as well.

For Dummies

Most of the apps reviews go into great detail, even for a $1.99 app, and have all been author-tested, so you know what you are downloading for your kids. That makes this book seem well worth the price to me. I must not be the only mom who has had download regret, am I?

One of my favorite features in this book is probably the 10 Best Free Apps for Kids. With a wide variety of apps to choose from with a price you really can't beat.

So the next time your child asks to play with your iPad, the iPad Apps for Kids for Dummies will help steer you to an app that will fit the bill and maybe even introduce you to some new favorites.

I am curious, what is your favorite app for your kids? And how did you find it?


*Disclaimer -  I received a copy of this book to write my review. All opinions and experiences are my own.
Andrea
Pin It