Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Farm Update: Life Will Overcome!


I keep hens for the eggs, the pest control and backyard commotion. I love the sounds of the hens exploring and clucking around the yard. It is a great chance for my young children to grow up learning about animals, our food and life.

Every year we have purchased a handful of new chicks. Living surrounded by orchards and alfalfa fields has the drawback of being a great place for predators to hang out and stalk our coop. This year we were very lucky to only lose one hen. So I sadly told the kids there would be no new chicks this Spring.

Yes, the kids ask me every time we are in the Co-op and walk past the bins of chirping baby chicks and ducklings. "Can we get one?"

Since my son is entering Kindergarten this year I thought it would be fun to order a small incubator and explore how the chicks develop and hatch from their eggs. It really is an amazing thing to observe. But, with the baby coming most extra projects have been put on hold. I just only have so much time in the day and energy to spread around.

None of my laying hens have even shown the slightest interest in brooding their eggs. I call it the "drop, plop and run". As soon as the run doors open in the morning the hens are off to different corners of the yard or orchard. But my fluffy little Cochin hens have all but disappeared from the yard.

Cochins are a chicken developed in China to be more of a pet than production bird. They have a great pillow of billowing feathers all the way down their feet. Sweet and docile I ordered 3 chicks last year just to keep as pets. The info on the mail order site said they were not consistent layers (not a problem as pets) and would need an incubator in order to brood. It called them "flighty" and "not reliable".


Well, someone forgot to tell these hens that! After a mishap with the hutch floor dropping out and cracking 4 fertilized eggs, the hens have very patiently sat with a new batch. Yesterday my kids discovered the tiny peeps coming from behind the hutch door. Here was our little surprise.

The kids have already named her and I want to give the hens a chance to hatch out another 2 eggs before I take the rest away. I am not going to lift a finger for these guys though. I am not bringing them in and they will have to survive on their own.

So far life has proved to be a determined force in our backyard. Despite what anyone says about this breed, they are doing a fabulous job. Their persistence paid off and I am so proud of these fluffy mamas. Life really does find a way, doesn't it?
Andrea
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Love the story and I had a pet chicken like this when I was a kid. Her name was Tuffy (I thought she was a boy) and whenever she heard music (yes, my dad played it in the chicken house during feeding in the morning and evening) he would dance. I delighted in telling people I had a pet chicken named Tuffy who did the Twist! Thanks for reminding me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to get some chickens. Life has been a little crazy and I am not sure I can commit to another thing, but I am hoping to get things together enough to start raising a few chickens by next year.

    Random question: will they eat carpenter ants?? I just found out we have an ant problem at our new place and I would like to find a better way to get rid of them than using chemicals.

    Thanks!!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea! I know that ants have a pretty distinct odor to ward off predators. Mine love slugs, worms, earwigs and spiders. I am sure they eat other things I don't see though. Ours have definitely helped out with natural pest control.

      Delete
  3. I wish we could have chickens but we have an HOA that says no way. Love the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness what an AWESOME surprise for you and your kids. What an adorable story and a super cute little chickie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun surprise! That had to be troublesome when the floor fell through but what a great ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny that they were the ones! But I'm glad the kids got their chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love following along on your farm adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Congrats on your new arrivals!

    ReplyDelete

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!