Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Easy Hawaiian Roll Recipe, in the Bread Machine

Hawaiian Rolls

Counting down the final weeks to the baby's arrival has not left me with much time left to linger in my kitchen. Eating lately has been more practical, fast and not too special. There is just too much left to do! I do have some strawberry recipes to share soon since our local season has just begun.

Recently I was wanting a good barbecue dinner. The kind of simple pleasure that we could all enjoy outside on a nice, warm evening. Besides grilling up a few pieces of chicken basted in a tasty sauce, I wanted to break out the traditional macaroni salad from Cook's Illustrated and some Hawaiian rolls. Of course, I had the perfect recipe tucked away to try.

These rolls call for pineapple juice and a little coconut extract. A nice, fluffy dinner roll that we could enjoy with chicken leftovers the next day. Now, rolls don't last long in our home. The homemade variety is usually gobbled up within a 24-hour period. I didn't mind though, because I let my trusty bread machine do most of the work. They still need to be hand formed and baked in the oven, but I didn't have to knead them myself or fuss over them for the afternoon.


When using my bread machine, I like to get out all the ingredients, measure them out and then dump in as I double check my recipe. It makes it go so quickly.


I have a Zojirushi bread maker and really love using it to make my dough. I do like the act of kneading bread by hand, but lately I can't even get close enough to the counters, thanks to my expanding pregnancy waist, to really get leverage. Not too mention that with swelling ankles I would rather put my feet up than be standing in the kitchen right now.


After a rise in the machine, I can separate out my rolls and place them in a casserole baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.


Place these little beauties in a warm spot and cover with a tea towel for 45 minutes to an hour. They puff up nicely and will be ready to bake at 350 degrees.


I wait till they are evenly golden brown on top and then brush them with a little butter as they cool. Warm, fresh rolls are such a simple pleasure.

Ready to try them yourself?


Easy Hawaiian Rolls

You Will Need:

  • 1 c. pineapple juice
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/3 c. milk
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, unsalted and cubed (+ more for brushing the tops)
  • 1 tsp. coconut extract
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. instant potato flakes
  • 3 c. all-purpose flour 
  • 1/2 c. bread flour
  • 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

Bring all the wet ingredients to room temperature. You can skip this step if your bead machine has a warming stage in the beginning.

Add the ingredients as called for by your bread machine. Mine calls for wet ingredients, then dry and yeast last. Run your bread machine on the dough cycle.

Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray. When the dough cycle has finished and the dough has proofed, divide the dough into 12- 15 rolls and place evenly in your baking dish. Cover with a tea towel or flour sack cloth and let rise for another 45 minutes to an hour in a warm place.

Towards the end of the rise, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Bake the rolls for about 25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush the tops with butter. Let them cool slightly before serving.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!