Saturday, September 14, 2013

Chicken and Veggie Cobbler - Country Crock Quick Fix Casseroles


Corn field

Our busy Summer schedule hasn't slowed down yet. Besides all the long days of farm work to be done, now  we have evening school activities and the days seem to be going by even faster.

The last thing I want to do is miss out on the beauty surrounding us, or my children, so I have been embracing casseroles in my weekly meal plans. There is something genius about making up a large dish of food that we can enjoy for several nights. Less dishes for me to clean and less time in the kitchen makes me happy.

Canadian Geese in cornfield

Of course, all these long days make for a very hungry family. My husband has been finishing up hay for the year and those hours are just crazy. I have to make meals that he can eat anytime. Our meal times have to be flexible. Thank goodness casseroles re-heat well.

farming

For this week I created a fun Chicken and Veggie Cobbler. By utilizing rotisserie chicken and sales on fresh french bread, this meal came together in a snap. That and the fact there isn't a can of anything in this dish makes it one I am proud to pass on.

#QuickFixCasseroles

I opted for Country Crock Original Spread for my #QuickFixCasseroles because it has 70% less fat than butter and 0 grams of trans fats per serving. It is also a spread I grew up with. I like the flavor.

#QuickFixCasseroles

This is a great recipe to use up extra bread. There is no need to dry it, or grind it up for breadcrumbs. Just leave it in larger crouton-sized pieces. I chose a sourdough olive loaf that was loaded with rosemary. It was a great flavor to compliment the chicken and vegetables.


I melted down Country Crock spread to toss the bread in. This will bake up on top of the casserole and add the perfect crunch.


For this recipe I chose broccoli and kale for the vegetables. My kids are big fans of broccoli and the fresh heads from the field are so sweet. The best part of a casserole is that you can substitute whatever vegetables you enjoy or have on hand.


I don't cook with cans. I made a rue with more Country Crock Spread, a little flour for thickening and chicken stock. You might be surprised how easy it is to whip up. The flavor can't be beat either.


This will add the moisture and binder to hold together all the goodness crammed into my casserole dish. I am a big fan of sharp cheddar cheese and added a little into the mix. Sharp cheddar lets me have a bigger flavor with less actual cheese. My casserole came out cheesy without being to greasy.


See all that love in there? Seasoned with a little salt and pepper this is a meal I know will satisfy my hungry crew. The best part is, it didn't take me very long to make.

Read for my quick fix casserole recipe? Well, here you go.

Casserole Recipe

Chicken and Veggie Cobbler

You Will Need:
1/4 c. Country Crock Original Spread, melted
3 c. cubed sourdough bread

3 c. rotisserie chicken, cubed
2 c. broccoli, bite-sized florets
1 c. kale, torn
1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 c. sour cream
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste

2 Tbsp. Country Crock Original Spread
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
3/4 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. milk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a 2 quart baking dish with non-stick spray.

Drizzle the melted Country Crock spread over the bread cubes. Toss to coat, set aside.

Combine the next 6 ingredients in a large bowl, mix well. Season to taste and set aside.

Next start on the rue. Preferably in a cast iron skillet, a frying pan will also work, add the 2 tablespoons of country crock to melt over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and mustard powder. Heat till fragrant and then add in the chicken stock whisking constantly. Whisk in the milk and allow it to start to simmer. Take off the heat and pour over the other ingredients. Place in the prepared casserole dish and top with bread cubes. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the bread is golden brown on top.

Enjoy.

Looking for more inspiration for those busy Back to School evenings? Check out Country Crock on Pinterest.

What is your favorite Quick Fix Casserole?

I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!