Monday, September 30, 2013

Daregal Gourmet Fresh Frozen Herbs for Easy Salmon Anytime

*Disclaimer - I received a sampler of Daregal Gourmet fresh frozen herbs to review as a part of a Blog Friendly PR campaign. All opinions are my own and no compensation was received.


This week I received a great surprise, fresh caught Salmon. My Dad fished most weekends when I was younger and, since my husband is not into fishing, I am grateful for the fishing enthusiasts we know. Those who share, are even better! Salmon is a fish we have and love eating here in Oregon. I love the beautiful, bright color and taste of fresh Salmon. To do it justice I don't like to bread, fry or cover-up the flavors. This beautiful fish needed a gentle touch.

This year my hopes for a garden were more ambitious than I had time for. In my final trimester of pregnancy I just couldn't get myself outside to get everything planted. My space was quickly overgrown and what I did plant withered away under the hot sun when the baby was born. So I didn't have my usual outlet for fresh herbs.

Now, the prices of fresh herbs in my local grocery store are pretty wild. I usually only need a tiny amount of herbs but just can't stomach the prices. So let me introduce you to Daregal Fresh Frozen Herbs.


This is the lovely selection I was sent - Tarragon, Parsley, Garlic and a Tzatziki mixture. Each carton contains fresh herbs, frozen and ready to be used as needed. Whether you need a little, or a lot, just shake or pour out your portion and put the rest back into the freezer. There is no need to thaw before using. With handy, easy-to-use shakers built onto the cartons these herbs are a frugal cook's friend.


I portioned out the Salmon and froze the extra to be used later. This will keep us in heart-healthy Salmon for quite a while.


I prefer my Salmon with the skin on. This is wild-caught so there isn't as much fat between the meat and the skin, but there is a little. It will keep the fish moist. Cooked skin-side down, the fish will pull away easily when done.


I wanted to dress my Salmon simply with an herb butter. Any combination of herbs will do, but I chose garlic and parsley with a splash of lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Throw the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse it up.


I used a whole stick of unsalted butter so I will have more to use for the remaining Salmon. Just refrigerate for later use.


I smeared a little on my fish and placed the fish on a aluminum foil tray right on our smoker. I like to bake our fish on the Traeger to keep all the smells and any mess outside. That also leaves my oven free for other items. The smoker can be used just like an oven.


Our fish was about an inch thick and it took just under 30 minutes at 350 degrees to finish.With all those herbs and chunks of garlic, it looked amazing. I love that I didn't have to do any slicing or chopping to make the herb butter.


While I waited for my Salmon to rest, I made a quick Tzatziki sauce with the Daregal herb mix and a little sour cream.


It would be equally delicious mixed into Greek yogurt (as usual), but this is our favorite way to make fish sauces. The sour cream adds a lovely tang to the vibrant herb flavors and cool cucumber chunks.

Okay, this is such an easy way to prepare Salmon. Ready for the recipe?


Baked Salmon with Herb Butter and Tzatziki Sauce

You Will Need:
  • 1 large Salmon fillet, about an inch thick
  • 1/2 c. butter, at room temperature
  • 2 Tbsp. Daregal Parsley
  • 1 Tbsp. Daregal Garlic
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
  • 2-3 Tbsp. Daregal Tzatziki Mix
Preheat your smoker or oven to 350 degrees.

Rinse your Salmon fillets and then create a foil tray to sit your fish on. Set the fish aside at room temperature while you make the herb butter.

In a blender or food processor, combine the butter, herbs, and lemon juice. Mix and then spread a small portion over your fillet. Salt and pepper the fish well.

Place on the smoker, or in your own, for 25 - 30 minutes. Thicker fillets will take longer to cook. The fish should come to an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
_______________________________

Why choose fresh frozen herbs? Well, I love fresh from the garden, but let's be honest. They go bad fast. And buying them in-store? Well, the tender leaves are not the only parts you have to pay for. Refrigerated purees are also convenient, but they are loaded with salt and preservatives to make them last. Daregal's products are available all year round and can last in the freezer up to 3 years!

Where can you find Daregal Gourmet Fresh Frozen Herbs? Order them online at Amazon.com and in the Northeast region find them at Stop n Shop, Giant Landover, and Shaws.

Now, what would you make with Daregal Gourmet Fresh Frozen Herbs?

Giveaway Time!!
One lucky Adventures in All Things Food & Family reader will win their own assortment of Daregal Gourmet Fresh Frozen Herbs. Giveaway ends 10/15 at midnight PST. Open to the US. Good luck! 
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!