Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fun with Jigglers! Our JELL-O Halloween




My kids love Halloween, but what they enjoy the most about holidays like this are the treats we create together in the kitchen.

Last year we made JELL-O JIGGLERS and cut them out using Halloween shaped cookie cutters. They kids loved eating their creations! This year I decided to try something different - molds. I saw the skull and crossbones ice cube trays a while back and put them away for just such an occasion. I also saw some cute little jack-o-lantern molds, but when I went back to get them, they were all gone.

We really wanted to make jack-o-lanterns though, so I had to think of something.

Think, think, think.

Rummaging through my kitchen boxes I found this freezable mold for baby food. Sadly, I have never used it for baby food. But, it did look like the perfect mold for my little pumpkin jack-o-lanterns. This was a moment when I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.


We grabbed the best Halloween JELL-O Gelatin colors we could find: Orange, Lime and Grape. Then I told my kids we were going to make JIGGLERS. How do you think they took the news?


My son chose Grape JELL-O Gelatin. He wanted to make the skull and crossbones shapes. Typical boy, right?


JIGGLERS are fast and easy to make which makes it easy to let the kids do it themselves. These are much less messy than decorating cookies.


After the JIGGLERS set up, we were ready to decorate them. I am not a fan of piping onto JELL-O, it always slides right off the shapes. My kids love fruit leather, so I cut the pumpkin eyes, nose and mouth out of grape flavored fruit leather. It cuts easily with a pairing knife or kitchen scissors and then sticks when moistened. Easy!

For the stem I cut the green part off of a gummy worm or used green candy. I found volunteers to eat all the red and yellow worms, don't worry. Then with my pairing knife I created a hole for the stem to fit into.


My JIGGLERS tip? When using molds, always use non-stick spray so they will come out easily. Believe me, I have tried to make them without and it wasn't pretty.


So easy to make, these jack-o-lanterns only took 5 minutes to decorate. The skulls and crossbones also came out perfectly. The kids were thrilled.


So whether you use cookie cutters, ice cube molds or random stuff at home, you can easily make a spooky JELL-O JIGGLERS treat for your family this Halloween.

For more inspirations check out the following JIGGLERS ideas for:


What would you create with your JELL-O?


I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!