Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chocolate Hazelnut Oatmeal Cream Pie Footballs - Game Day Treats

 I am part of the Good Cook Kitchen Experts and received these products for review. All opinions and experiences are my own. #goodcookcom#goodcookkitchenexprt#sweetcreations


Seems like I have seen so many adorable football shaped treats popping up everywhere in preparation for the SuperBowl. We watch it. as a family But I can't say that I am always watching for the game. I am more motivated by the commercials and the game day food.

I know, suprising, right? Me and food?

Well, Good Cook issued another challenge to food bloggers. They wanted to see what we could with "Big Game, Big Food". I decided a tradition like football watching needed a childhood favorite. Oatmeal Cream Pies immediately came to mind.

But, that wasn't good enough. I wanted chocolate, too.


So I pulled out all the Oatmeal Cream Pie recipes I could find... then decided to add in some Hershey's Chocolate Hazelnut Spread I already had in the pantry. It took a few test runs to get a cookie that was pliable enough to deserve to be called an Oatmeal Cream Pie, but would also hold a hand-formed football shape.


Mmm...

I always eat the mistakes.


Luckily I nailed it. Adding in some of the spread to marshmallow fluff was easy. Then I decorated my cookie tops and made the sandwiches. I'm ready coach.

As always, I used some Good Cook products to help create my treats. I used their Sweet Creations mixing bowlscookie cutters, a cookie dropperhigh temp spatula and flex cookie turner. This has become my usual cookie equipment list. Other than my stand mixer, it is all I need to whip up a great batch of delicious cookies.

Want to try these items, too?  Use code: BigGame48 on the goodcook.com site to receive a 20% off discount.


Chocolate Hazelnut Oatmeal Cream Pie Footballs

You Will Need:

  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1 medium egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. Hershey's Chocolate Hazelnut spread
Chocolate Fluff Filling
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 7 oz. marshmallow fluff
  • 1/2 c. Hershey's Chocolate Hazelnut spread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, oats, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugars. Then add the egg and vanilla, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Then add the chocolate hazelnut spread and mix until incorporated. On low, stir in the dry ingredients.

On Silpat or parchment paper, place a heaping cookie scoop of dough. Gently round the ends so they are football shaped. Bake for 9 - 10 minutes. If the cookies loose their shape, while still warm, pinch the edges gently. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transfering to a rack to cool completely.

Allow to cool completely before decorating or filling.

For the filling, cream the butter, powdered sugar and salt together. Whip in the marshmallow fluff and reserve 3 tablespoons for decorating the tops. Add the chocolate spread into the remaining mixture. Mix well. Spread this over the underside of one cookie, top with another cookie and then using a piping bag with the reserved white marshmallow mixture, decorate like footballs.

Grab a glass of milk and enjoy!



What will you be making for game day?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!