Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cinnamon Chip Sourdough Banana Muffins... Yes, Sourdough!


I love sourdough...the tangy flavor, the depth of flavor and of course the challenge.

No, it hasn't been a challenge for me to bake with sourdough. I have a problem with using it up fast enough. Let me explain. See I keep 2 starters going on my kitchen counter. Yes, we have used it for all the classic recipes, pancakes and bread, but I just hate discarding the extra starter.

I have given away all I can, and I think people are starting to run away for fear I will shove starter on them.

Yes, I could just toss it, but that hurts my frugal side deeply.

So I try to use it. My search on Pinterest didn't come up with any new ideas, so I went back to The Bread Bible. I scoured all my bread books in fact, but The Bread Bible was the most promising. It suggested working my sourdough into other recipes.

Of course my eyes started to cross when I saw it was an equation. You have to be sure to account for the water and flour (by weight) in the sourdough starter and adjust the original recipe accordingly.


After a mention of sourdough in muffins, I knew what I wanted to make. These Cinnamon Chip Sourdough Banana Muffins were heartier than their regular cousins, and with a little added flavor depth. I was happy.


So what you need to get started is a sourdough culture.


Now don't worry. You can get a little from a generous friend, purchase it online from a place like King Arthur Flour, or start your own sourdough. Of course starting your own takes a little more time, but it is a very easy way to go about it. There was even a recipe that came with my bread machine.


For this recipe you will need an established starter and enough time (around 12 hours) to feed and let the yeast really start growing.

Then whipping up this recipe is as easy as any regular muffin recipe. Use up those browning bananas and throw in some cinnamon chips - you have muffins!

Ready to get started?


Cinnamon Chip Sourdough Banana Muffins
You Will Need:

  • 1 c. unfed sourdough starter
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 medium bananas, mashed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1/2 c. cinnamon chips
12 hours to a day before you want to serve the muffins, combine the flour and starter. Add a teaspoon of water at a time, just so you can mix all the flour in. (It will depend on how wet your starter is)

After the starter has grown and bubbled for at least 12 hours, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-muffin tin with baking papers.

Combine the remaining wet ingredients in a medium bowl, set aside. Then in another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients except the cinnamon chips.

Mix the wet ingredients into the starter, then stir in the dry items until all incorporated. Fold in the cinnamon chips last. 

Fill muffin papers 3/4 full and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Enjoy!
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!