Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mod Melts Hair Clips


I have another fun idea for hair clips this week. This time I am getting out the Mod Podge Mod Melts to create a couple of simple clippies for my daughter. She is absolutely obsessed with sunflowers in the garden right now, so I thought making her a sunflower clip would be fun.

First, let's talk supplies.

You will need:

  • Mod Podge Mod Melt sticks in either clear or beach glass. 
  • High temp. mini glue gun (mine is designated for the mod melts)
  • scissors
  • paint or nail polish (optional)
  • paint brushes
  • ribbon or lace
  • hair clips
  • glue gun or lighter (for sealing the edges of your ribbon or lace)



I used the flower mold for both of these clips. There are 3 others on the market right now. Feel free to use your own or make your own if you want. These silicone molds are flexible and easy to pop designs out of.


I like to make sure my mod melts get nice and hot before filling the molds. I hold them close to the edges so the details will be clear. After filling each design, I tap the mold on the table to help release air bubbles. The peices will set up quickly, so you don't have a lot of time, but you can also use a toothpick to pop pesky bubbles that may form near the surface.

After popping out each peice, I use my scissors to trim around the edges and clean things up. More intricate designs may require an exacto knife.


Then you can decorate your designs anyway you wish. I hand painted the sunflower. Start with a base coat of yellow, then streak over some brown, then orance and then let it dry. To finish things up I painted over a thin coat of yellow to break up any big clumps of color. Now it looks like the sunflowers my husband plants at the market.


For the rose I ended up painting it with a little glitter finger nail polish. I wanted to keep it simple without the fear of glitter flaking off.


Then I chose a lace ribbon and a satin ribbon. I finished the edge of both, the satin ribbon is best to heat the edges briefly and it will melt to prevent fraying. The lace would just burn, so I put a tiny bit of hot glue at the end to keep it together.

Grab your clips and cover them with ribbon. I like to star in the center and slowly glue my way out and around. Once the whole clip is covered with ribbon or lace, hot glue the Mod Melt peice to the front.

Enjoy.


Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will give these easy Mod Melts clips a try. Let me know if you have a favorite way you like to use your Mod Melts. I am always looking for new ideas.



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!