Sunday, August 3, 2014

After School Snacks - Easy Ideas for Kids


This #AfterSchoolSnacks shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.



With all the fun and excitement of Summer, it seems like my kids will eat me out of house and home. But, the truth is once they head back to school, they will be even hungrier when they get off the bus each day. I sat down with my older kids this past week to discuss lunch options and their preferred #AfterSchoolSnacks. Another year older and they want to have more say in what they eat.

Yes, school supply and clothes shopping is not the only way I prepare for the new school year. Having cleaned out the chest freezers and I am looking to stock up and freeze as much as I can. Breakfasts can be quick and painless with a few bags of homemade frozen waffles or muffins, and after school snacks can also be ready for me to just heat and serve when the kids need it most.

To check out our options, I took my little assistant shopper into Walmart to see what we could find in the frozen aisle.


Options? Oh, yes. We found options. I found both Bagel Bites and Delimex Rolled Tacos. Both are easy to prepare and I had a few ideas up my sleeve as to how I could add our own personal touch to serving them. They both give me options for letting my kids dress them up for their own individual snacking styles.


Since I already needed the oven to heat up our Bagel Bites, I also threw in a pan of sliced bell pepper and mushrooms drizzled with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt. My son just loves roasted veggies and I thought he could pile his Bagel Bites high with caramelized veggies.


This year the kids have been helping me garden and my son, especially, is excited about cooking up what he has helped to grow. From eggplant to zucchini, he wants to be the next Chopped Champion. He is a growing boy with an appetite to match so I like giving him all the veggies he wants.

I set up a spread for him and let him make the perfect snack.


I didn't realize that snacking could be so serious till I saw his face. I gave him more cheese to put on top to help hold his piles of peppers and mushrooms in place. Bagel Bites are already made with real cheese and homemade sauce, so it makes sense to just add more good stuff on top. They also have 0g. trans fat.


I guess all those hours building with LEGOs has prepared him to build the perfect snack. See the build quality there?


He was so excited to hand them over for a little more broiling. It was just to melt the cheese to help keep all the goodness in place.

Bagel Bites with Roasted Veggies

You will need:

  • Three Cheese Bagel Bites 
  • Bell Peppers, thinly sliced
  • Crimini Mushrooms, sliced thin
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • Swiss Cheese, sliced
Bake the Bagel Bites according to the package directions. Toss bell peppers and mushrooms in olive oil to coat and season with a little salt. Broil for 5- 10 minutes or until the veggies start to carmelize. Pile roasted veggies on top of Bagel Bites and top with a little cheese. Place back under the broiler till the cheese melts slightly.



For my daughter, the very messy eater, I was inspired to create a little wrap. She would rather leave all the bell peppers and mushrooms to her brother, so instead I smeared a little guacamole or cream cheese inside a wrap and wrapped that around the Delimex Rolled Tacos. With a side of fresh salsa, it was the perfect snack from my little dipper.

Delimex Taco Rolls

You will need:

  • Delimex Rolled Tacos
  • Whole Wheat Wraps
  • Guacamole
  • Cream Cheese
  • Salsa
Bake Delimex Rolled Tacos according to the package directions. Slice wheat wraps in half and smear with guacamole or cream cheese. Wrap around Delimex Tacos and serve with salsa for dipping.



So between taco rolls to dip and roasted veggie loaded little pizzas I have some crowd pleasing snacks with wide kid appeal. The best part is I can keep stocked up with Bagel Bites and Delimex in the freezer and create these type of snacks anytime.

And when the kids weren't looking I gave their snacks little smiling faces. They are punched out of Nori with little bento face punches. I love that my kids are still young enough for a little silly fun.



Grab Bagel Bites and Delimex coupons to save as you stock up on your own snack options for the upcoming school year. Check out more great recipe ideas on the Bagel Bite recipe page.

How would you serve Bagel Bites or Delimex? Do you have any after-school-snackers in your house?
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!