Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cool Kids' Dessert - Lemon JELL-O Pudding Cake with Lemon Cool Whip Frosting

This #AddCoolWhip shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.



My kids are so excited this week because they will finally get to meet and greet their new teachers. We already have the class lists but this will make it real for all of us. School is still 3 weeks away, but will bring big changes for both of them. My daughter starts Kindergarten and will be going half day. My son will be facing a full day of 1st grade this Fall. I want to make sure that I keep some yummy recipes up my sleeve as they brave these new waters and grow up so quickly. I know it will be both exciting and maybe a little scary for  them and they will work up quite an appetite.

Did you have a favorite after school treat?  I loved the sweet and simple treats after school. JELL-O pudding was always a favorite, made even more enjoyable with a little dollup of Cool Whip on top. I was inspired by those after school memories to make something I knew my children would get excited for - a Lemon JELL-O Pudding Cake with a Cool Whip and Pudding Frosting.

Cake is always a reason to celebrate around here, but by using these classic ingredients I have also made it super easy for this busy Mom to pull off. Not your typical tiered layer cake, this is as simple as a cupcake, but the kids will be over the moon to come home and see it.




I just needed a few simple ingredients and grabbed them on a recent trip into Walgreens. Actually I always like to have both Cool Whip and JELL-O Pudding Mix on hand for whenever the inspiration strikes.

You can grab a $1 OFF Coupon for Cool Whip and JELL-O Pudding Mix while supplies last. (SAVE $1.00 when you buy ONE (1) tub of COOL WHIP Topping (any size) and TWO (2) boxes of JELL-O Pudding Mix )


I have made this type of cake a few times. The flavors can be changed to suit your tastes, and the JELL-O Pudding Mix creates a very moist and flavorful cake. I do have to recommend the lemon though.


In order to create my little mini layer cakes I found these darling little pans. One set is of 3 tiny pans. Just a miniature version of a regular tiered layer cake. The other pan is just a mold of a 3 tier cake. Isn't that easy? No stacking or frosting between layers. After baking allow the cakes to cool then trim off the tops with a serrated knife.


Have you ever made a Cool Whip and JELL-O Pudding frosting? It makes the best frosting! While a buttercream can be thick and very sweet, this is so simple and full of flavor. Feel free to use your favorite JELL-O Pudding Mix. I chose lemon, but vanilla is a close second.

When everything is frosted, just refrigerate until you are ready to serve.


My kids love any chance to help in the kitchen so half of the fun for them was to decorate with an array of candied jimmies and sprinkles. My son went straight for the candy flowers.


The Cool Whip frosting is soft enough that all the little sparkles and candies stuck easily. No need to press anything in.



Behold the masterpeice my 4 and 6-year old created on their cake. I am pretty sure they would have used every single sprinkle in my decorating kit if I would have let them. But, they had a blast.

I also created one for my husband as an after work treat. Yeah, even busy parents appreciate delicious recipes.


Lemon JELL-O Pudding Cake with Lemon Cool Whip Frosting
Print Friendly and PDF
You will Need:

Cake
  • 1 box lemon cake mix
  • 1 box (3.4oz) JELL-O Lemon Instant pudding Mix
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 4 large eggs

Frosting

  • 1/2 c. cold milk
  • 1 (3.5 ounce) JELL-O Lemon Instant Pudding Mix
  • 2 c. Cool Whip

  • Assorted sprinkles, candies or jimmies for decorating

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, place a cookie sheet in the oven during heating. Grease all the cake pans well with cake release or non-stick spray.

In a stand mixer mix all the ingredients together except for the eggs. Add the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Beat the cake batter on medium for 2 additional minutes. Divide your cake batter between your greased cake pans, place small pans on the cookie sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until an toothpick comes out clean.

Cool completely in the pans. Trim excess and then turn out onto a cooling rack. Wrap and let sit overnight.

When you are ready to frost the cakes, In a stand mixer beat the milk and JELL-O Pudding Mix till it starts to firm up. Fold in the Cool Whip and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Frost the cakes and decorate with assorted sprinkles, jimmies and candy. If making a tiered cake, insert a skewer in the middle while decorating so it holds together.

Enjoy!




I am not really sure if my kids enjoyed decorating or eating their cake more. My son tried to snag my husband's, but I wouldn't let him. We had so much fun this afternoon.

Wrapped tightly in cling wrap, I froze the remaining cakes to make up later. Won't my kids be surprised when we do this again after a long day of school? 



Check out more delicious recipes using Cool Whip on KraftRecipes.com.

How do you fit Cool Whip and JELL-O Pudding Mix into your kids' desserts?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!