Thursday, August 21, 2014

Crafting with Kids: Salt Painting


Looking for a quick kid-friendly craft idea or art project? Give salt painting a try. My kids had a blast painting and then waiting to discover how the salt would transform their watercolor art.

You Will Need:
  • Watercolor paper
  • Watercolors
  • Salt - I used Kosher salt, Margarita salt and rock salt also create fun effects. Unfortunately, table salt is too fine to create effects like this.

The larger the salt crystals, the larger and more dramatic the effect will be. It is fun for the kids to experiment and try the effect, but you never know exactly how it will turn out.


Paint the image with enough water to keep the design wet, but not to make the paper soggy. Sprinkle salt over areas of the painting before they dry. The salt will help to dry the painting faster so you won't have to wait long to see the finished masterpiece.


My kids had a blast painting underwater scenes and flowers. The big reveal after they dried (it took about 10 minutes for the salt to brush off easily) was very exciting and fun.

I used Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock in 4 1/2" by 5 1/2" because I want to turn ours into thank you cards for back-to-school. I love hand written notes and to attach a unique piece of the children's art seems like a great combination.


Think of all the salt painting possibilities! 


Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!