Sunday, December 14, 2014

Cinnamon Roll Cookies - Secret Recipe Club Cookie Carnival


With the holidays coming up next week the Secret Recipe Club decided to offer a fun little "extra" out of the usual recipe posting rotation. This week I am sharing a cookie recipe from a fellow SRC club member and am happy to say there are over 60 bloggers participating with chosen cookie recipes.



The rest of the year I am not a big cookie baker. From time to time I make one of our family favorites, Triangle Delights or Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies, but in general I don't collect or search for new cookie recipes.

One reason is my oldest two kids have some pretty crazy food restrictions due to PKU. I always feel badly making cookies they can't eat, so trying out a new cookie recipe means I make a PKU approved cookie for them.


Browsing through my given blog, Cookaholic Wife, I found that Nichole had the perfect solution to my cookie dilemma! Her Cinnamon Roll Cookies call for a package of sugar cookie mix. Now, this means, whether you have dietary restrictions, or not, you can work with this recipe and create some tasty Cinnamon Roll Cookies! Woo-hoo.

Now, to be fair to Nichole, there are many great recipes on her blog I would love to make like her California Roll Burgers (don't those sound fun?),  or her Bang Bang Cauliflower, but I was restricted to cookie recipes only this time.

My kids would like to send a big "thank you!" to Nichole for sharing this one.



It was also a great way to get my kids in the kitchen one evening when my husband was away for work. Keeping all three kids occupied can be a challenge, but offer them the chance to create cookies for a post, and they are all in.


After making my sugar cookie dough, as directed on the package, I rolled out my cookie dough into a rectangle brushed it with softened butter.


Then my kids took turns shaking the cookie dough with cinnamon and sugar. We keep a shaker full in the cabinet because my husband is a huge fan of cinnamon toast.


Then ever so carefully, we rolled up the dough just like a cinnamon roll. I put down waxed paper to make this step easy and relatively mess-free for the kids to do themselves.


Pinch the top and slice into 1/2" pieces. Put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. I let mine cool completely on the cookie sheet since my dough is extra fragile.

When you are ready to serve, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk, it should be thick. Put it in a zip topped bag and snip a tiny bit off one end. Drizzle the glaze over each cookie to decorate. Let the glaze set up before serving or storing.


Cinnamon Roll Cookies
from Cookaholic Wife, adapted from The Country Cook.

You Will Need:
  • 1 package sugar cookie mix + ingredients required on the back of the package
  • 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
  • 3/4 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. milk
Prepare the sugar cookie mix as directed. Roll out the dough on a piece of wax paper into a rectangle. 

Spread the softened butter over the dough. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle evenly over the dough. Roll up like a cinnamon roll, wrap in the wax paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

When you are ready to make the cookies, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Slice the log into 1/2" slices with a sharp knife. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the cookies have started to turn golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the sheet before transferring to a plate or wire rack.

Once the cookies have cooled, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk. It should be thick, but still pourable. Place in a zip-topped bag and snip the corner of one end. Drizzle the glaze over each cookie, then allow to set for a minute or two before serving. 

Enjoy! 



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!