Thursday, December 4, 2014

Easy Frosty Votives


Looking for a simple and inexpensive holiday table decoration?  Well today I have one that combines up-cycling with a simple, inexpensive craft.

I have been loving all the Epsom Salt crafts recently on Pinterest. One of my favorites was to use Epsom Salt with Mod Podge to create snow or ice on glass. I used them recently to create ornaments and it was a great success!

Today I wanted to share a Frosty Votive I created out of an old glass jar. I really like how it turned out and my daughter has already asked to make one for herself.


You Will Need:
  • 1 glass jar with a wide mouth
  • Elmer's Painters Metalic Paint Marker in Gold
  • Mod Podge
  • Brush or applicator for Mod Podge
  • Epsom Salt
  • 1 tea light
Start by drawing your design on your jar. I went over mine twice and let it dry in between. Fell free to use stencils. I just decided to go free-hand on this one. 




When the paint is completely dry, apply the Mid Podge to the jar. You could go up half-way or apply Mod Podge to the entire jar.


Then apply the Epsom Salt. Gently tap off any excess and let dry. The glue will dry clear and the light will be able to shine through the salt crystals. 


It is a really fun effect. 

See how easy that was? Now what are you going to apply this technique to? I would love to hear what you would like to cover with ice and snow.






Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!