Friday, December 19, 2014

Taking the Planes Characters on the road this Holiday Season

 This holiday travel shop with Disney Planes the Movie has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions and experiences are mine alone. #PlanesToTheRescue #CollectiveBias



We usually don't travel around the holidays. In fact, the longest holiday drive we take is about 15 minutes. We live surrounded by multiple generations of family, so keeping my kids occupied in the car is usually not an issue. This year though we have a little surprise in store for the kids.

We will be packing up the family to go on a special North Pole bound train ride and I know the kids are going to have a blast. My only concern is to get to the station is an over 3 hour drive.. and I have 3 small children to keep entertained for the entire way there.

I like to be prepared, so while picking up some car ride essentials at Walmart, I took a peek down the toy aisle. 



The die-cast 3-pack, Secret Hangar Meeting, is currently on Rollback at Walmart, along with several other great last minute gift ideas, or "car ride boredom busters". My children are huge fans of Disney Planes and Planes Fire and Rescue, so I knew this would be a big hit.

I have fond memories of driving my own die cast cars around the back seat of my parent's mustard yellow Matador during family road trips.



The cute Disney characters inspired me to also create a No Sew Felt Board or Flannel Board for my daughter who loves to create her own. Dusty and his friends from Planes would be my inspiration.


To get started, you will need:

  • Foam Core Board
  • X-Acto Knife
  • Ruler
  • Scissors
  • Felt, in various colors
  • a collection of ribbon, washi tape or lace 
  • Felt Glue
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Freezer Paper
  • Pencil
  • Assorted Permanent Markers
I started by cutting foam core board. I wanted my felt board to be like a book, small enough to fit in my daughter's lap in the car, but big enough to tell an entire story. In the end I cut my cover pieces to be just larger than a 9" x 12" sheet of felt. I allowed for a 1/2" around the edges so cut them to be 10" x 13".



Then with glue, I started putting down my felt for the storyboard. I went with a solid blue sheet on one side for the sky. 

Now is when a stash of ribbon, lace and washi tape comes in handy. I glued red striped ribbon over the page edge and then "finished" the edges of the felt with strips of my choice. I went with a typeset alphabet and metallic ruler tape for this part.


On the other side of my felt board I created a sky and mountain backdrop. I wanted the felt back for this project to be smooth, so I inset the mountain then glued it all down. This will be perfect for staging the woodland fires for my daughter's stories.



I made a simple "binding" for my foam core book with extra wide ribbon. This part I attached with hot glue for added durability.

Then I finished the outer edges with a little bit of lace.



On the outside of the Felt Board I used adhesive washi sheets for quick covers.

Then it was time to start on the removable felt pieces for storytelling. 

One of the easiest ways to cut felt for an intricate project like this is to use Freezer Paper. I found these cute flames online. I printed them out and taped them into a window for easy tracing. Then I covered them with a sheet of Freezer Paper (wax side down) and traced.


Then on a low setting, I ironed the wax side down onto a piece of red felt. It doesn't take long for the paper to stick and the stencils are reusable with a little more heat.



Using Freezer Paper makes it really easy to cut out simple shapes and designs. I tried cutting these little flames freehand, but this is much better.



To complete my little Fire and Rescue scene, I cut out more flames, trees, clouds, a smoke jumper and parachute, Dusty and another generic plane.

The best part about a project like this is we can keep adding felt characters and pieces to our collection and my daughter can use it over and over on our car trips as well as at home. I would point out that this is a nice and quiet car activity, but we all know the kids will be supplying the sound effects, right?




And it is so much fun to have more adventures with Disney Planes Dusty and all his friends.



So if there are young children and car trips in your future this Holiday Season, or maybe just are looking for a last minute gift idea, think of creating your own personalized Felt Board with a Disney Planes theme, or stop by and stock up on these great Planes toys currently on Rollback - Disney Planes Flight to the Finish Speedway Rollback to $24.97, Disney Planes Fire & Rescue Die-Cast Vehicles, 3-Pack Rollback to $14.97, or Disney Planes Fire & Rescue Deluxe Talking Vehicle Assortment Rollback to $19.97.

Either way, you will be a big hit this season with the kids.




Do you have any long car trips over the Holiday Season? How do keep everyone entertained?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!