Friday, January 2, 2015

2015 is all About Perseverance


Every year I set goals for my year. I like the idea of a blank slate, an empty calendar, a whole world full of possibilities.

I don't think setting goals for myself is discouraging. In fact, while in high school and college I kept clear goal setting for my year and beyond. It was partly due to that, I was able to travel and work abroad after graduation. I knew what experience I needed to get the internship I wanted and that in turn led to my teaching job abroad.

Somehow after having children I set aside real goal making and stopped looking beyond a day, sometimes an hour or two at a time.  Life just got too busy to plan, and so often I felt like my plans were always being changed without my consent.

I was listening to a friend's radio program in the car and he got around to talking positively about goal setting. He mentioned how specific, achievable goals can help us to grow and do the things we want to. It made me reexamine my own goals for 2015.

Okay, who doesn't want to loose weight this year? Get in shape? Eat healthy?

I know, me too... but this year I am not going to go with those old stand-by resolutions. Instead I want to try something else. I want to have a theme for 2015. I am accepting the one word goal challenge. This year is going to be a productive and positive year, so I am adopting one word to sum it all up - Perseverance!

I actually put a lot of thought into my word. It comes from a frustration of not sticking with things as long as I should. Yes, I love to knit, but I have yet to stick with a pair of socks long enough to finish them. My son's poor baby blanket is still sitting next to me half-finished. I was hit with an obstacle of time and I just gave up!

That may as well be the story behind most of the half-finished projects around here. I am a creative person at heart but sometimes I get ahead of myself and my skills.

I have picked up a crochet hook half a dozen times, but still can't crochet beyond a simple chain.

I am still fearful to get behind the wheel and get my driver's licence. This will be the year to overcome that.

I also want to overcome my fear of video, and really master both natural presence in front of the camera and get more proficient editing my own work. I have some new software that I am stoked to get started with!

And of course I couldn't leave out something about my health, right? Yeah, I want to push myself to persevere and stick with exercise. One foot in front of the other, every step counts and that hard work will pay off. I just need to overcome the real, as well as perceived obstacles to create the body that I really want, instead of just putting it off.,,,

Yes, 2015 is going to be a great year. Just watch me as I work on Perseverance.

What about you? Do you have a word for 2015 yet? Share what word you hope will embody your year.
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!