Friday, February 27, 2015

All Decked Out With Baymax for the Big Hero 6 Release

We are crafting up a storm in our excitement for the #BigHero6Release. This Baymax accessories tutorial and DVD release shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias

Last year for my son's 7th birthday we took a group of his friends to the movies to celebrate. The movie my son wanted to see was Big Hero 6. We had all been pretty taken by the movie previews. It was, of course, a huge hit with the kids and their parents as well.

Can I just say, fist bumps will never be same!

So in anticipation of the DVD release this week, we decided to craft up some Baymax fun, starting with a necklace of our favorite character out of the easy to work with Crayola Air Dry Clay.

Baymax Necklace

I used several colors to create a Baymax bead, multi-colored Chem-Balls from Honey Lemon and microbot beads. Here I used: yellow, pink, purple, glitter blue, white, black and metallic silver.


To create Honey Lemon's Chem Ball beads, I rolled out a small portion of clay. Be sure to put down wax paper to protect your work surface from pigment in the clay. The clay also picks up any lint or oils, so having a clean work surface helps to keep creations looking their best.


With a tool or toothpick, poke a hole through the center of the ball of clay, I like to use a sharp tool to start with so my ball doesn't become distorted when pierced. Then I go back with a wider tool to enlarge the hole for easier stringing later.



I also created the Baymax bead in a similar way. I made a slightly larger bead and formed it into an oval. I used black seed beads to create the eyes and then a permanent marker to draw a line between them.


After the beads dry for a day or two, they are ready to glaze. A simple coat or two of glossy glaze will make the beads shiny and smooth.


Then they are ready to string in a necklace. My daughter was very excited. She is all about jewelry right now and this unique necklace has all her favorites; Honey Lemon's Chem Balls, Microbots and Baymax, himself.


Felt Baymax Applique

Of course, we needed something to go along with her necklace. I have been big on personalizing my daughter's clothing lately. Her plain black pants were perfect for embellishing with some Baymax fun. There is no need for an embroidery machine. All you need for this craft is a little felt, embroidery thread, an iron-on interfacing and an article of clothing to embellish.


I found an image I wanted to use in the right size and cut out my felt. I used a dressmakers pencil to sketch the eyes for embroidery. The pencil color wipes off the felt easily.


I used a backstitch between the eyes and then the seed stitch for the eyes themselves. I used iron-on interfacing to attach the felt to the pants and then stitched around the edges by hand.


It was the perfect way to make my daughter's play clothes extra special. Even better for playing with her new Flying Baymax.


Baymax Felt Hair bow

And last, I made my daughter a big red hair bow with her favorite character. If you have visited my blog before, you know my daughter loves hair bows and ribbons. I also enjoy creating new ones for her to wear.

These are so simple to make, and a great way to show how much you enjoy the movie, Big Hero 6.


I created a larger, flatter Baymax head out of the same air dry clay. After drying I glazed it and then cut out a piece of red felt. A smaller strip will become the center of the hair bow.


Bring the edges together and hot glue them to the middle.


Then fold over the middle and add a drop of hot glue.


Wrap the center around the front of the bow and over an alligator clip to secure it.


Glue the clay Baymax to the front and you are done!

Now my daughter is all decked out and ready to enjoy the movie again. My son and I ran into Walmart to grab a copy. He was really excited for a chance to see the movie again.


We purchased the Big Hero 6 Blu-Ray/DVD+ Gift With Purchase Set. It includes a digital movie on Vudu while supplies last! Just scan your receipt using the Savings Catcher in the Walmart app. Then look for a message by phone or email. Then you will be able to watch Big Hero 6 on any of your devices.

My son was also thrilled that the added DVD gift was The Science of Big Hero 6. With robotics, microbots and electro-magnetic suspension it is perfect for my little budding science fan.



Now, with all this to enjoy, don't forget to check out the fun Big Hero 6 toys available at Walmart. Be sure to take a peak at the selection when you pick up your copy of the DVD.  I grabbed mine online and had this Flying Baymax  and Hiro delivered right to my home. The kids proclaimed me the best Mom ever.

 What can I say? I am a big fan, too.


What does the larger than life character of Baymax inspire you to create?

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!