Saturday, March 7, 2015

Bacon Leek and Asparagus Quiche



Daylight Savings Time always gets me thinking about Spring. Those extra precious minutes of light allow for family walks in the evening, I look forward to the first crops on the farm and warmer days ahead.

The changing of seasons also means my hens are finally laying well again. So I go from a few Winter scragglers to a whole basket full of fresh eggs daily. Life is good. But, it also means the excess adds up fast in the house. Yes, even with all my baking and bread making, I still need to use up a few eggs now and again.

Luckily, my husband never turns down a good quiche. And I don't turn down a way to pack it full of my favorite veggies.

This is my Spring recommendation, Bacon, Leek and Asparagus Quiche!


This is the first year my oldest kids have proclaimed their love of asparagus. What can I say? I have been hoping they would come around.

I do love my asparagus paired with eggs. That probably started with my Mom's asparagus and egg scrambles. But, it is lovely baked into a quiche as well.

The leeks? Well, that is my new love. I have plans to plant a lot of it in the garden this year. I really can't get enough of it sauteed with a little butter and mushrooms to top either a rustic pizza or over fresh pasta.


Both leeks and asparagus love a little added fat, so I can crumble in a few slices of good, thick bacon and call it good for this dish. Really, good.


Now, if making pie crusts isn't your thing, feel free to grab a pre-made one. I promise they are probably easier to make than you think. Just let the dough chill, don't overwork it, and use butter over shortening.


Grab those eggs and whisk away! Since the filling has so much flavor, I don't worry about adding many herbs or spices. Just a little salt, milk and cheese.


Pack in the filling and then pour the egg mixture over the top. See all those lovely veggies and little bits of crispy bacon?


Cook until set. This means the middle might not be all the way done, but the whole quick shouldn't jiggle. It will continue to cook when you take it out of the oven.

My favorite part about making a quiche is I can serve it warm or cold. Sometimes my husband tries to finish a field or has a break down on the tractor this time of year. Hello, black mud! So I can plan on having quiche for dinner... but serve it when we are ready.

Ready to grab the recipe? Check it out below and see if this recipe will make it on your meal plan this month.


Bacon Leek and Asparagus Quiche

You Will Need:

  • 1 large leek, sliced thinly and rinsed
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 c. sliced asparagus
  • 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 c. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 unbaked pie crust
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, saute the leeks in butter over medium heat till softened. Add the asparagus for an added minute, then stir in the crumbled bacon and set aside.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Stir in the cheese and add the salt and pepper.

Place the leek mixture in the unbaked pie shell and pour egg mixture over the top.

Bake for about an hour, until the middle has set. Let cool slightly before serving so the egg can set up. Serve warm or chilled.

Enjoy! 



...And don't forget to set your clocks for Daylight Savings time! Have a great week.
Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!