Tuesday, April 14, 2015

DIY Apple Pie Spice - Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats


This might seem like an out of place Fall recipe post, but I just had to share one of my favorite breakfasts this past week. Spring brings a combination of crisp morning weather and warmer afternoons. The floor downstairs are still cold on our toes and slippers add to us being able to venture forth from our carpeted upstairs to face the day.

Once Summer hits, and berries are in season locally, I will be filling my breakfast bowl with fresh berries, granola and yogurt. But, for now, I am still needing a warm and filling breakfast. This Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oat bowl is perfect.

It is also the perfect way to get back into the Daring Cook's monthly challenges. For the month of April, Sawsan from Chef in disguise challenged us to spice things up by making our own spice blends from scratch. Now, I make some of my own spice blends; dry ranch seasoning, taco seasoning, and Italian Seasoning, but there are still several mixes that I buy.

I know right? Why spend the extra money, right?


Well, this was a great nudge in the DIY direction to have me create my own Apple Pie Spice. My kids love this sprinkled over sauteed apples for their pancakes or just by the spoonful.

I have a lot of work to do on my poor neglected herb garden, but I hope to have enough to dry this Summer and Fall so I can make even more of our own mixes.


So this mix is really quite simple. Just whisk it up and store in an airtight container like a small Mason Jar.

Apple Pie Spice

You Will Need:

  • 4 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
Whisk together and store in an air tight container.



Like I said, this is such an easy breakfast, yes, steel cut oats take a few minutes to simmer, but while you have that cooking go ahead and simmer some fresh apples with the Apple Pie Spice, brown sugar and a dab of butter.

Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats

You Will Need:

  • 1 apple, chopped
  • 1 tsp. unsalted butter
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. Apple Pie Spice
  • 1 Tbsp. boiled cider
  • steel cut oats, cooked according to package directions
In a skillet, heat the butter, brown sugar and apple pie spice. Toss with the chopped apples and boiled cider. Simmer gently until apples are tender. Serve over steel cut oats.



Enjoy! 




Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!