Sunday, May 31, 2015

Smoked Paprika Chicken - June Secret Recipe Club #Recipe


Lately I have been needing simple, hearty meals for my family. Hay season has begun on the farm, which means long hours, little free time in the kitchen and a husband who drags himself home really hungry at the end of the day. One pot meals have become my friend and allow me to tackle everything else that needs my attention right now.

So when selecting a Secret Recipe Club recipe for my June assignment, I had some specific needs in mind.



This month I was assigned to Melissa's blog, A Fit and Spicy Life. After peeking around her recipe index I found the perfect fit, her Smoked Paprika Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes and Sweet Potatoes. It is made in one pot, I used my Le Creuset Dutch Oven, and it is both filling and delicious!

I hope you will take a moment to check out Melissa's blog for her Fitness tips as well as recipes.She is a fellow PiYo enthusiast who likes to mix things up with her workouts and a lot of food... and more importantly, wine. Yes, a girl with good priorities.


We just love sweet potatoes in this house, so I knew this would be a winner. I like to grab a bag of the small sweet potatoes to dice up and roast in the oven with a little olive oil and sea salt. I just loved the idea though of roasting them with all the chicken drippings.

Since I had a few baby potatoes and a little onion on hand, I dice those up and threw them in the pot, too.

Then came the chicken... liberally seasoned with salt and smoked paprika. I also used just a dash of the ancho chili pepper. My husband is not a fan of heat, so I used just a little for that added flavor. Don't be afraid to turn up the chili powder if that is what floats your boat.


I baked this mostly through, then added the sun-dried tomatoes. I didn't want them to be too dry or tough. They are almost like candy when they are warm and sweet like this.


Smoked Paprika Chicken
with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Sweet Potatoes
recipe adapted from http://www.afitandspicylife.com

You Will Need:
6 - 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
1 pinch ancho chili powder
4 small sweet potatoes, sliced
6 new potatoes, diced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1 jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and olive oil reserved
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray the bottom of the Dutch oven with non-stick spray, or rub with oil. Fill the bottom with an even layer of sweet potatoes, new potatoes and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle a little of the reserved oil from the tomatoes on top.

Rub each piece of chicken with a little more oil, on top and underneath the skin. Sprinkle each piece with smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, salt and pepper. Place the chicken on top of the potatoes and cover. Bake for 30 minutes, then add the sun-dried tomatoes to the top. Continue baking for another 15 - 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. (boneless chicken will take less time, 30 - 40 minutes total.)

Enjoy!


So what does your family enjoy eating this time of year?



Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!