Monday, July 20, 2015

How to Create a Personalized Shadow Box

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ProjectAmazing #CollectiveBias




I know it sounds cliche, but my kids are growing up so fast! Seems like just yesterday I was picking out toys, dolls and clothing for my daughter, but at 6, she has a big personality just waiting to share with the world. She has opinions and things she collects and treasures.

Currently, she loves ballet, anything pink and butterflies.

I have been wanting to create a shadow box for her, made up of her favorite things, to display on the wall of her room.This past weekend I decided to finally create one. And you know, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I just needed to find the right supplies for my project.

I searched for the perfect shadow box first. It is times like these that I wish I was better at woodworking. I was eventually able to find a shadow box though, that was 2 inches deep. Perfect for all sorts of items and souvenirs. It also had an added feature, it opens in front, and is kept closed with magnets. I love that it will be easy to update and change as she gets older.


Then I picked up a variety of tools to use to put the shadow box together.


I picked up several new items to help me create a shadow box. I picked up a Scotch® Titanium Utility Knife, perfect for opening craft packaging and cutting through tape. It was much more precise than a general box cutter. There were black grips along each side for easy handling. I kept it handy, because while crafting there are always little bits and things that need to be cut or trimmed.


For the back of my shadow box, I cute pink and grey scrapbook paper to fit my box. I secured it to the back of my project with the mini pushpins that were provided in the shadow box.

I knew with my daughter's love of butterflies they would have ot be included in this project. I cut out a few simple shapes with my Silhouette and then added a little pink glitter to dress them up. My daughter also contributed a pink butterfly she created this summer.

I put the 2-peice butterfly together with Scotch® Permanent Double Sided Tape. I love that it doesn't need to "dry" and will keep all my paper goods right where I want them.




I also used the Scotch® Permanent Double Sided Tape to create a little mini-banner with my daughter's name on it. The letters were cut off of a peice of scrapbook paper. I cut the pink paper into triangles and taped the letters on top. With a little kitchen twine and mini clothespins, my banner was ready.


Since I had so much depth in the shadow box I used Command™ Clear Hooks and Strips in mini size to place on the sides of my box. Since they can be removed without residue or damage and rehaning is so simple, I will be able to remove or reposition these for a later design.


I tied a simple knot around the clear hooks to hold the banner in place. The clear hooks are covered by the trim around the front of my box.

Then I added a few more details to the box. I printed out the meaning of my daughter's name. Audrey means, "Noble Strength". I also included a few trinkets my daughter has been saving, a crochet heart I made her for last Valentine's Day, a clothespin doll I painted for her, and her first pair of ballet shoes.

I used Scotch® Permanent Mounting Squares to add the ballet shoes to the box. They can hold heavier object, up to a pound, and are great for handing project. so I will be using them to add my oldest son's Pinewood Derby Car to his shadow box. Yes, once I made one for my daughter, I knew I had to make one for each of my boys as well.


So, is there someone in your life who would like to have a shadow box? Here are my top 3 tips for creating a personalized shadow box:

  1. Find a shadow box deep enough for the items you want to display. I used a box that was 2" deep in order to hold my daughter's ballet shoes.
  2. Grab the right tools for the job. There are a variety of Scotch® Brand products and Command™ Brand products perfect for creating the perfect shadow box. I like to keep them on hand for all my craft projects.
  3. Gather and mix a variety of items. Feel free to mix paper, souveniers and sentimental items to personalize your shadow box. Don't be shy about using the depth and size of objects to make a unique arrangement.
My daughter just loves her shadow box and we already have a spot in her room all picked out to display it. Now I just need to find the time to make one for each of my boys. 




If you decide to create your own shadow box, be sure to check out the crafting aisle at Walmart for a selection of 3M products, now in a handy new location. Same products I love, new, convenient in-store location. Like they say, no matter the task, there's a Scotch® Brand product to match. And from spray adhesives to masking tapes, there is whole range of products for every crafting situation.

How would you personalize a shadow box?

Looking for more amazing summer craft ideas? Be sure to check out thScotch® Brand #ProjectAmazing hub with even more fun craft ideas http://cbi.as/el2z

Andrea
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love reading your comments and questions. Let me know what you thought about my recipe or post. Comments are currently being moderated due to spam-tastic recent postings. I'll have your comment up shortly. Thanks!